What are some tips for uploading, recording and editing my Instagram story?
When you share a photo or video to your story, you can use creative tools to help capture and edit them.
Taking photos and videos
- Tap to adjust the flash for your photos or videos. To take better photos and videos in the dark, keep tapping until you see (iPhone only).
- To take a photo or video with a camera effect, swipe left at the bottom of the screen and select an effect. You can also swipe all the way to the left and tap to see more effects from Instagram and from independent creators. When using the front or back-facing camera, the effect you choose will automatically appear on the closest person’s face. Keep in mind that effects aren't supported on some older devices.
- To zoom while recording a video, tap and hold with one finger to start recording, then slide up or down using that same finger.
- Tap Boomerang at the bottom of the screen, then tap the circle at the bottom to take a burst of photos that loops forward and backward.
- Tap Superzoom to take a video that automatically zooms in on an object and plays a dramatic sound. Tap anywhere on the screen to select an area or object to zoom in on, then tap the circle at the bottom to start recording.
- To take a video without having to tap and hold, swipe left at the bottom of the screen and tap Hands-Free. Tap once to start recording a video, or tap and hold to see a timer that counts down before recording.
- Tap Music at the bottom of the screen, then search for a song and tap the one you want. You can edit which part of the song you want to play in your story. Above , you can select different effects that respond to the beat of the music. Swipe left to see all the effects and select the one you'd like to make a video with.
- Tap Create at the bottom of the screen to personalize a story without needing a photo or video to start from. Swipe left at the bottom of the screen to choose to type something, add a GIF or ask a question, among other things.
- Tap Live at the bottom of the screen and then tap to share a live video and connect with your followers in real time.
- You can switch between front and rear-facing cameras while recording a video. Tap and hold to start recording, then tap .
Editing photos and videos
To add a filter to your photo or video, swipe left or right after taking it.
You can also tap the following creative tools at the top of the screen:
Tap to add text. From there, you can:
- Add emoji.
- If you use the Classic text style, you can adjust text size up or down by tapping and using the slider.
- Center text or align left or right by tapping (only available for some text styles).
- Rotate and resize the text by using two fingers to pinch and zoom.
- Choose a text color by tapping the colors at the bottom of the screen. Swipe to see more colors, or tap and hold a circle to choose a custom color.
- Change the text style by tapping the button at the top of the screen.
- Add a color background to text by tapping at the top of the screen and selecting a color.
- Pin text to a fixed spot in your video. After taking a video, add text, then tap it and hold. Use the slider bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the video to find where you want to pin the text. Move the text and tap Pin.
- Tap again to add another section of text.
- Type @ then enter someone's username to mention them.
- Enter a hashtag (example: #flower). People can tap it to view the page for that hashtag.
Tap to draw on your photo or video. From there, you can:
- Choose from different brushes and drawing tools from the options at the top of the screen.
- Adjust the line thickness by using the slider on the left.
- Choose a color to draw with by tapping the colors at the bottom of the screen. Swipe left to see more colors, or tap and hold a circle for more color options. You can also tap and drag and drop it to select a color from your photo or video.
- What are some tips for watching and scrolling between people's stories on Instagram?
- How do I share a story with my close friends list on Instagram?
- How can I tell who's seen my Instagram Story?
- How do I share a photo or video to my Instagram story?
- How do I control who can reply to my Instagram story with a message?