Should I start a personal or a nonprofit fundraiser on Instagram?
You can start two types of fundraisers on Instagram:
- Personal fundraisers: Fundraisers that raise money for a personal cause, like yourself, your small business, a friend or a cause that's important to you
- Nonprofit fundraisers: Fundraisers that directly benefit a charitable organization
For example, if you want to volunteer with a nonprofit, you can start a personal fundraiser for travel expenses to volunteer. If you want to raise funds for that nonprofit, start a nonprofit fundraiser.
When should I start a personal fundraiser?
If you live in a country where personal fundraisers are available, you can start a fundraiser to benefit personal causes like community projects, crisis relief, education, family, medical costs, emergencies, pets or animals and volunteering. Learn more about approved categories on the Facebook Help Center and how to start a personal fundraiser.
What are the taxes and fees associated with personal fundraisers?
Money raised for personal fundraisers is paid out to the person who started the fundraiser and may have tax implications. If you’ve started a personal fundraiser, you’ll need to add your bank account to receive the money raised.
Note that personal fundraisers are assessed payment processing fees, which may vary by country.
When should I start a nonprofit fundraiser?
If you live in a country where nonprofit fundraisers are available, you can start a fundraiser to benefit charitable organizations. Nonprofits need to meet certain requirements to receive money raised on Instagram.
What are the taxes and fees associated with nonprofit fundraisers?
Money raised for nonprofit fundraisers is paid out to the organization, not a specific person. If the nonprofit chooses to accept donations on Instagram, we cover fees so that 100% of donations made are paid to the organization.
- Can I keep my donation to a personal or nonprofit fundraiser hidden on Instagram?
- Are donations made on Instagram Stories and Live tax-deductible?
- Who can start or donate to personal fundraisers on Instagram?
- Who can see information about my personal fundraiser on Instagram?
- How do I report a personal fundraiser on Instagram?