Photo Taking, Editing and Sharing
Taking and Sharing Photos
To upload a photo or take a new one, first tap at the bottom of the screen:
- To upload a photo from your phone's library, tap Library (iOS) or Gallery (Android) at the bottom of the screen and select the photo you'd like to share.
- To take a new photo, tap Photo at the bottom of the screen then tap . You can tap to switch between front and rear-facing cameras and to adjust flash.
Note: You can't take or upload photos from a desktop computer.
After you've uploaded or taken a new photo, you can crop it. To crop a photo:
- Tap Edit > Adjust .
- Touch the screen and pinch to zoom in. Then move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or Done to save your change.
You can also add effects to your photo.
When you take a photo using the Instagram in-app camera or upload a photo from your phone's library, you can straighten it with the Adjust tool. Once you upload a photo:
- Take or upload a photo, then tap Edit at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Adjust, then swipe the slider left or right to straighten the photo. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or tap Done to save your change.
To add a caption to your photo or video:
- Take a photo or video or choose one from your phone's library. You can also add effects or filters.
- Tap where it says Write a caption...
- Enter your caption and tap OK (iPhone) or Share (Android).
- Tap Share.
Learn how to add or edit the caption of a photo or video you've already posted.
- Tap Add Location
- Find your location in the suggestions or search for the location and select it
- Tap Share
You can also use a public Facebook event as a location. Just like a location page, you can tap the event name to view all photos and videos shared publicly at that event or location.
You can also add or edit the location of a photo or video you've already posted.
Adding Filters and Effects
Once you've taken or uploaded a photo or video, you can edit it by applying filters:
- Tap Next, then tap the filter you’d like to apply.
- Tap the filter again if you want to adjust filter strength left or right using the slider. Tap Done to save your change.
- Tap Next to add a caption and location and to share your photo.
You can edit photos you take or upload from your phone's library. Once you've taken or uploaded a photo, tap Next then tap Edit at the bottom of the screen. Learn more about the effects you can create:
- Tap Adjust to change the photo's vertical or horizontal perspective.
- Tap Brightness to make your photo brighter or darker.
- Tap Contrast to make the bright areas of your photo brighter and the dark areas darker.
- Tap Structure to bring out the detail and texture in your photo.
- Tap Warmth to shift the colors of your photo toward warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Tap Saturation to increase or decrease the color intensity of the image (example: adjust up to make the red redder).
- Tap Color to add a color (yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, cyan or green) to either the shadows or highlights of your photo. Tap the color you want to use twice to adjust the strength of the color.
- Tap Fade to give your photo an aged look.
- Tap Highlights to adjust the focus on the bright areas of the image.
- Tap Shadows to adjust focus on the dark areas of the image.
- Tap Vignette to darken the edges of the photo. Adding a vignette can direct the attention away from the edges towards the center of the photo.
- Tap Sharpen to add crispness to your photo and make the photo appear clearer.
- Tap Tilt Shift to give the appearance of a shallow depth of field, or placing the focus on a subject in the background while blurring out the foreground and vice versa.
In preview mode, a gray dot will appear below each of the effects you’ve applied to your photo. For example, a gray dot below Brightness means you’ve adjusted the brightness of your photo.
Connecting with Others
If your account is set to private, anyone who wants to see your photos or videos will have to send you a follower request. Follow Requests will appear in your Activity.
To approve or deny a request, tap Confirm or Delete.
If you accidentally deny a follow request, you can ask the person to request to follow you again.
To unfollow someone:
- Go to the profile of the person you'd like to unfollow
- Tap then tap Unfollow to confirm
Once you've unfollowed someone, their profile will say Follow instead of Following. People won't be notified when you unfollow them.
Note: The only way to remove someone from your followers is to block them. When you block someone, the blocked person can't see your photos/videos or search for your Instagram account. The blocked person isn't notified when they're blocked.
To tag a photo or video with a hashtag:
- Take or upload a photo or video.
- Choose to add a filter, then tap Next.
- Tap Write a caption... and type # followed by text or emoji (example: #flower).
- If you want to add a hashtag to a post you've already uploaded, edit the caption or include your hashtag in a comment on your photo.
After you tag your post with a hashtag, you'll be able to tap the hashtag to see a page that shows all photos and videos people have uploaded with that hashtag.
Things to keep in mind:
- When people with private profiles tag posts, they won't appear publicly on hashtag pages.
- Numbers are allowed in hashtags. However, spaces and special characters, like $ or %, won't work.
- You can only tag your own posts. You can't tag other people's photos/videos.
- You can use up to 30 tags on a post. If you include more than 30 tags on a single photo/video, your comment won't post.
Editing and Deleting
On your own posts, you can delete both your and other people's comments. On other people's posts, you can only delete comments that you've written.
To delete a comment:
- Tap below the photo or tap any comment.
- Swipe left over the comment (iPhone) or tap and hold the comment (Android) you'd like to delete.
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android).
To delete a photo or video that you've posted, tap (iPhone and Windows Phone) or(Android) above your post and then tap Delete.
You can also archive posts to hide them from your profile and make it so your followers and other people on Instagram can't see it. When you archive a post, it keeps all its likes and comments.
You can add a caption to a photo or video you've already shared, or edit or delete the caption you originally included. To add, edit or delete a caption:
- Tap (iOS) or (Android) above your photo or video.
- Tap Edit.
- Edit, delete or add a caption to your post, then tap Done (iOS) or (Android).
When you tap below a post, the word Edited may appear above captions that have been edited.
You can add a location to a photo or video you've already shared or edit the location you originally included. To add or edit your location, first tap above your photo or video. Then tap Edit.
- To add a location: Tap Add Location... and enter the location.
- To edit a location: Tap the location name, then tap Remove Location or Change Location (iOS) / Select Other Location or tap "X" from Select a Location Page (Android).