Photo Taking, Editing and Sharing
Taking and Sharing Photos
To take a photo or upload one from your phone or tablet's photo library, first tap (iOS and Android) or (Windows Phone) at the bottom of the app.
iOS and Android
- To take a new photo: tap the blue circle. If you'd like to turn the camera to face you, tap . To adjust the flash, tap . You can also record a video.
- To upload a photo from your phone or tablet's library: tap (iOS) or (Android) and select the photo you'd like to share.
- To take a new photo: tap . If you'd like to turn the camera to face you, tap . To adjust the flash, tap. You can also record a video.
- To upload a photo from your phone's library, tap Camera Roll and select the photo you'd like to share.
Note: You can't take or upload photos from a desktop computer.
After you've uploaded or taken a new photo, you can crop it. To crop a photo:
- Tap > Adjust .
- Touch the screen and pinch to zoom in. Then move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap to cancel or to save your change.
You can also add effects to your photo.
Once you've selected a photo or video from your phone or tablet's photo library, you can choose to share it as a portrait or landscape instead of a square:
- Tap to switch the photo from a square to a portrait or landscape.
- You can touch the screen to move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Next to apply effects or a filter.
Once you share it, the photo or video will appear as a portrait or landscape in Feed. You can share photos and videos with aspect ratios between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
Note: In grid view on your profile, photos shared as a portrait or landscape will appear as a center-cropped square.
When you take a photo using the Instagram in-app camera or upload a photo from your phone's library, you can straighten it with the Adjust tool:
- Tap > Adjust .
- Swipe the slider left or right to straighten the photo. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap x to cancel or tap the checkmark to save your change.
Photo straightening is currently only available for the Apple iOS and Android apps.
After you take or choose a photo and add any effects or filters you want, you can add a caption. Simply tap where it says Write a caption.... Add your caption and tap OK. Then tap Share to upload your photo.
Learn how to add or edit the caption of a photo you've already posted.
- Tap Add Location
- Find your location in the suggestions or search for the location and select it
- Tap Share
When you add a location to a photo or video, that photo or video will be added to your photo map. If you don't select a location, your post won't be added to your map. You can set your profile to private so that only approved followers will be able to see your map. If your profile is public, anyone can see your map. Learn more about your photo map.
Public location pages on Facebook can be added to your Instagram posts. If the location you're looking for does not currently exist, you can create a new one on Facebook. To create a new location, log into Facebook on your smartphone and create the location. As soon as the location is created on Facebook, you'll be able to add it to your Instagram posts.
Adding Filters and Effects
Once you've taken a photo or selected one from your phone or tablet, you can edit it by applying filters:
- Tap the filter you’d like to apply.
- Tap the filter again if you want to adjust filter strength up or down using the slider. Tap the check to save your change.
- Tap Next to add a caption and location and to share your photo.
You can personalize your filters by adding, hiding and rearranging the filters you see when posting a photo or video. Start by swiping all the way to the right, until you reach the end of your filters. Then tap Manage.
- To add a filter: Tap the filter you'd like to add. You'll see next to the filters that currently appear when you post a photo.
- To hide a filter: Tap the filter you'd like to hide. You'll see next to filters that are hidden.
- To rearrange your filters: Tap and hold the filter you'd like to move. Then drag it to the position you'd like.
When you've finished personalizing your filters, tap to return to your photo or video.
If you don't see one of your filters, you can find it on your Manage Filters page. You'll see next to the filters that appear when you're editing a photo and next to the filters that are hidden. To add a hidden filter back:
- Swipe to get to the end of your filters and tap Manage
- Tap the filter you'd like to add
- Tap to return to your photo
Learn how to rearrange your filters.
Once you've taken a photo or selected one from your phone or tablet's library, you can edit it by using our photo-editing tools. Tap to open up the tools. Learn about the effects you can create:
- Tap Adjust to change the photo's vertical or horizontal perspective.
- Tap Brightness to make your photo brighter or darker.
- Tap Contrast to make the bright areas of your photo brighter and the dark areas darker.
- Tap Structure to bring out the detail and texture in your photo.
- Tap Warmth to shift the colors of your photo towards warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Tap Saturation to increase or decrease the color intensity of the image (ex: adjust up to make the red redder).
- Tap Color to add a color (yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, cyan or green) to either the shadows or highlights of your photo. Tap the color you want to use twice to adjust the strength of the color.
- Tap Fade to give your photo an aged look.
- Tap Highlights to adjust the focus on the bright areas of the image.
- Tap Shadows to adjust focus on the dark areas of the image.
- Tap Vignette to darken the edges of the photo. Adding a vignette can direct the attention away from the edges towards the center of the photo.
- Tap Sharpen to add crispness to your photo and make the photo appear clearer.
- Tap Next to add a caption and location and to share your photo.
Connecting With Others
If your account is set to private, anyone who wants to see your photos or videos will have to send you a follower request. Follow Requests will appear in your Activity.
To approve or deny a request, tap the username of the person who requested to follow you. You'll be taken to their profile. Tap to approve the request or to deny the request.
If you accidentally deny a follow request, ask the person to request to follow you again.
You can stop following someone by going to their profile and tapping Following. To unfollow someone:
- Tap Search & Explore
- Enter the name or user name of the person you want to find and tap Users
- Tap Following then Unfollow
On their profile Following will change to Follow to let you know you've unfollowed that person. People won't be notified when you unfollow them.
Note: The only way to remove someone from your followers is to block them. When you block someone, the blocked person can't see your photos/videos or search for your Instagram account. The blocked person isn't notified when they're blocked.
Instagram is a great way to share your life moments through photos and videos, but you shouldn't share someone else’s photos or videos as if they were your own.
You own the photos and videos you post on Instagram. We ask that you respect other members of the Instagram community and don’t share content that isn’t yours. If you want to express your excitement over a beautiful post, it’s best to double tap on the image to like it!
You can also send a post as a message to one or more people using Instagram Direct. Posts sent using Instagram Direct are only visible to people who can already see them. If you send a post from a private account as a message, only people who follow the account will be able to see the post.
Learn more about reporting potential copyright infringements.
To read more about our policies, visit our Community Guidelines.
If your posts are set to public, you can add hashtags to your photos and videos.
To tag a photo or video:
- Take a photo/video and choose a filter.
- On the screen you see after choosing a filter, type your hashtag in the Caption field (ex: #flower).
- If you want to tag a post you've already uploaded, edit the caption or include your #hashtag in a comment on your photo.
After you tag your post with a hashtag, you'll be able to tap the hashtag to see a page that shows all photos and videos people have uploaded with that hashtag. Read our blog for more tips on using hashtags.
Things to keep in mind:
- When people with private profiles tag posts, they won't appear publicly on hashtag pages.
- Numbers are allowed in hashtags. However, spaces and special characters, like $ or %, won't work.
- You can only tag your own posts. You can't tag other people's photos/videos.
- You can use up to 30 tags on a post. If you include more than 30 tags on a single photo/video, your comment won't post.
- Older versions of Apple iOS don't support tapping hashtags. Instead, search hashtags by going to Search & Explore > Search > Hashtags.
Editing and Deleting
You can delete comments you've made, including photo or video captions, as well as comments people have left on your posts. You can also edit captions you've included in previous posts.
To delete a comment or caption:iOS
- Tap below the photo.
- Swipe to the left over the comment or caption you'd like to delete.
- Tap and then choose if you want to Delete or Delete & Report Abuse.
- Tap below the photo.
- Tap the comment or caption you want to delete. You can tap multiple comments if you want to delete more than one comment at the same time.
- Tap at the top of the screen.
This feature isn't available right now on Windows Phone.
You can add a caption to a photo or video you've already shared or edit the caption you originally included. To add or edit your caption:
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) below your photo or video
- Tap Edit
- Edit or add your caption, then tap Done
The word Edited will appear above captions that have been edited when you tap on a post
Note: You can't edit comments on photos or videos. Learn how to delete a comment.
You can add a location to a photo or video you've already shared or edit the location you originally included. To add or edit your location, first tap below your photo or video. Then tap Edit.
- To add a location: Tap Add Location... and enter the location.
- To edit a location: Tap the location name > Change Location. Then choose a new location or remove the location tag from your post.
Learn about adding photos to your photo map.
You can remove any of the effects you’ve applied as long as your photo is in preview mode and you haven’t posted it yet. A gray line appears under each of the effects you have applied to the photo.
To undo or remove an effect:
- Tap the tool you used
- Adjust the slider back to 0
- Tap the checkmark to save your change