What happens when a deceased person's Instagram account is memorialized?
We’re sorry to hear about your loss, and we’re working to make sure your report gets reviewed. Please note that we have fewer people available to review reports because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, which means it may take us additional time to memorialize or delete the account you requested.
We apologize and want to send our condolences for your loss.
Memorialized accounts are a place to remember someone's life after they've passed away. Memorialized accounts on Instagram have the following key features:
- No one can log into a memorialized account.
- The word Remembering will be shown next to the person's name on their profile.
- Posts the deceased person shared, including photos and videos, stay on Instagram and are visible to the audience they were shared with.
- Memorialized accounts don't appear in certain places on Instagram, like Explore.
Once memorialized, no one will be able to make changes to any of the account's existing posts or information. This means no changes to the following:
- Photos or videos added by the person to their profile.
- Comments on posts shared by the person to their profile.
- Privacy settings of their profile.
- The current profile photo, followers or people the person follows.
Learn how to request the memorialization of a deceased person's account.