What happens when a deceased person's account is memorialized?
Here are some of the key features of memorialized accounts:
- Instagram doesn’t allow anyone to log into a memorialized account.
- Memorialized accounts can’t be changed in any way. This includes changes to likes, followers, tags, posts and comments.
- Anyone can send a photo or video using Instagram Direct to the deceased person.
- Posts the deceased person shared (ex: photos, videos) stay on Instagram and are visible to the audience they were shared with.
- Memorialized accounts don't appear in public spaces like in Search & Explore.
Learn how to request the memorialization of a deceased person's account.
- What should I do if a deceased person's account is showing in Search & Explore, Suggested for You or when I sync my contact list?
- How do I link my Instagram account to a Facebook Page that I manage?
- How do I share from Instagram to other social networks?
- How do I report something inappropriate when using Instagram on the web?
- My profile has been memorialized.