Advertising on Instagram
Visit the Ads Help Center to learn more about advertising on Instagram.
You can create ads from Instagram once you've converted your account to a business account. In addition to creating ads on Instagram, you can also use Facebook tools to create ads that appear on Instagram.
There are three ways to run ads that appear on Instagram:
- Create ads directly from Instagram. Once you convert your profile to a business account, you'll be able to promote posts and stories from your Instagram Account.
- Create ads from your Facebook Page. If you manage a Facebook Page, you can link an Instagram account to that Page. When you create promotions from your Page, your ads can appear on Facebook and Instagram.
- Create ad campaigns in Ads Manager. If you're familiar with Facebook's advertising, Ads Manager provides comprehensive tools to create your ads and you can select Instagram as a placement.
Each of these tools can be used to create ads on Instagram. Before creating ads, you should convert your profile to a business account and connect it to a Facebook Page you manage to make the most of our business tools.
It's up to you how much you want to spend on your Instagram promotion. You'll choose a Total Budget, which is the total amount you want to spend on the promotion. You'll also set a Duration for your promotion, which is the number of days you want your promotion to run. Keep in mind that you'll never spend more than the Total Budget you set.
There are two ways to pay for your Instagram Promotions:
- Pay in the Instagram App. You can select a payment method at the end of setting up your promotion.
- Connect your Facebook Ad Account. You can connect a Facebook Page you manage to your Instagram business account to use the same payment method that you use for your Facebook ads.
You can run ads directly from the Instagram app. Once you've converted to a business account, you can use the Promotions button from your profile to run post and stories ads.
Before you begin
- Convert your profile to a business account.
Create ads directly from Instagram
To create an ad from Instagram:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Promotions.
- Tap Create Promotions.
- Choose a post you'd like to promote.
- Fill in the details of your promotion.
- Tap Create Promotion.
Your ad will be submitted for review to make sure it meets our ad policies. Your promotion will begin running after it's been reviewed and approved. After submitting your ad, you can use the Promotions button to view insights.
We recommend paying for your Instagram ads by linking a Facebook Page to your Instagram business account and using your Facebook ad account. You can also pay for Instagram promotions from the Instagram app by adding a payment method after creating your ad.
To add a payment method to your account:
- Go to your profile and tap
- Tap Settings
- Tap Business.
- Tap Promotion Payments.
- Tap Payment Methods. From here, you can select a payment method that is linked from Facebook or add another payment method (such as PayPal or a credit or debit card).
Note: If you change the primary payment method on your ad account, that change will be reflected across both Facebook and Instagram.
To delete a post after you've promoted it, you must first delete the promotion (even if the promotion has already finished).
To delete your post that has been promoted on Instagram:
- Go to your Profile.
- Tap Promotions.
- Tap View Insights under the promotion you would like to delete.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Promotion.
Once you've deleted the promotion, you should be able to delete the original post from your profile.
When you create a promotion from your business profile, Instagram uses a connected Facebook Page to identify a connected ad account. If you switch the Facebook account connected to your business account on Instagram, it can potentially lead to permission errors. Make sure the Facebook account you use for your Instagram business profile is connected to a Facebook Page that you manage.
Before you begin
- Check that your Instagram account is connected to a Facebook account. You can do this in your app's settings, under linked accounts.
- Identify the Facebook Page that your linked Facebook account manages and has admin permissions for.
Troubleshoot permission errors:
To change the Facebook account linked with your Instagram Profile:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Linked Accounts, then Tap Facebook.
- Tap Unlink Account.
Now connect to a Facebook account that is linked to a Facebook Page that you manage. This can be done by logging in to the Facebook app as that user. It's important that this account has admin permissions as this will determine the options for the Pages you can connect to in the next step.
To add a Facebook Page to your Instagram business account:
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Tap Edit Profile.
- Under business settings, Tap Page.
- Select a Page that you manage.
- Try promoting the post again.
If you are unable to promote your story, it may be due to the following:
- Aspect ratio is not 9:16 or between 4:5 and 1.91:1. If you're having trouble capturing a story with the correct aspect ratio, we recommend taking the story with the camera in the Instagram App.
- Includes tappable elements. @ mentions, hashtag stickers, location stickers, question sticker and polls, are all elements that make a story interactive. Interactive stories can't be promoted at this time.
- Out of date. If you're promoting an image or video that has been shared in the past, it may not be able to be promoted.
Note: Some creative tools are not available to be used as part of an ad creative (for example: music stickers, GIFs, etc.)
Please review our Advertising Policies and Community Guidelines to ensure you are meeting the standards for placing creative on our platform. We recommend promoting stories that have performed well organically and that show your businesses in a honest and real way. Learn more about the ways stories can be used to build your business on Facebook IQ.
More Information for Advertisers
The best way to grow and strengthen your audience is to create high quality, on-brand content that people want to see in their Instagram feed. Creating strong content also increases the likelihood that your account will be discovered by non-followers from Search & Explore or Activity, where people can see posts that their followers have liked.
You can also grow your audience by making Instagram part of your day-to-day business and marketing. For example:
- Post a sign at your retail locations with your Instagram account, or share it in communications like emails and postcards
- Mention your account in the press
- Announce your Instagram account on other platforms like Facebook or Twitter with a link to your account, or provide a link on the homepage of your website
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) takes effect on May 25, 2018, and creates consistent data protection rules across Europe. It applies to companies (regardless of where they are based) who process personal data about individuals in the EU.
While many of the principles build on current EU data protection rules, the GDPR has a wider scope, more prescriptive standards and substantial fines. For example, it requires a higher standard of consent for using some types of data and broadens individuals' rights with respect to accessing and porting their data.
Businesses who advertise with Instagram and the Facebook companies can continue to use our platforms and solutions in the same way they do today. Each company is responsible for ensuring their own compliance with the GDPR, just as they are responsible for compliance with the laws that apply to them today.
More information and frequently asked questions
For more information about specific ad products and frequently asked questions about the GDPR, visit our GDPR microsite.