Edit Your Profile
To update your profile information, including your username and email address associated with your account:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Edit Profile.
- Type in your information and tap Done (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right.
You can also update your profile information from the web.
To add or change your profile picture:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Edit Profile > Change Profile Photo (iOS) / Change Photo (Android).
- Select where you'd like to import your picture from.
- Tap Done (iOS) or Next (Android).
You can take a new photo or add a photo from your phone's photo library or Facebook. If you choose to import from Facebook, Instagram will use the same picture you're already using for your Facebook profile.
By default, anyone can see your profile and posts on Instagram. You can make your account private so that only followers you approve can see what you share. If your account is set to private, only your approved followers will see your photos or videos on hashtag or location pages.
Set your account to private from the Instagram app on your Android or iOS device
- Go to your profile, then tap .
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap Account Privacy then tap to toggle Private Account on.
Set your account to private on your computer or mobile browser
- Go to instagram.com on your computer or mobile browser.
- Click , then click .
- Click Privacy and Security.
- Below Account Privacy, click to check the box next to Private Account.
Things to keep in mind about private accounts
- Private posts you share to social networks may be visible to the public depending on your privacy settings for those networks. For example, a post you share to Twitter that was set to private on Instagram may be visible to the people who can see your Twitter posts.
- Once you make your account private, people will have to send you a follow request to see your posts, your followers list or your following list.
- Follow requests appear in Activity, where you can approve or ignore them.
- If someone was already following you before you set your posts to private and you don't want them to see your posts, you can block them.
- People can send a photo or video directly to you even if they’re not following you.
If you're able to log into your account and know your current password, you can change it from your Settings:
- Go to your profile and tap in the top right.
- Tap Settings > Privacy and Security > Password.
- Enter your current password and then enter your new password.
- Tap Save or in the top right.
Tip: To create a strong password, use a combination of at least 6 numbers, letters and punctuation marks (like ! and %).