Creating an Account & Username
To create an Instagram account from the app:
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number (Android) or Create New Account (iPhone), then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
To create an Instagram account from a computer:
- Go to instagram.com.
- Enter your email address, create a username and password or click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with an email, click Sign up. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
If you sign up with email, make sure you enter your email address correctly and choose an email address that only you can access. If you log out and forget your password, you'll need to be able to access your email to get back into your Instagram account.
Learn more about keeping your account secure.
To update your profile information, including your username and email address associated with your account:
- Go to your profile
- Tap Edit Profile or Edit Your Profile
- Type in your information and tap Done (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right
If a username you want is being used by an account that seems inactive, you can choose an available version of the username to use on Instagram. You can add periods, numbers, underscores or abbreviations to help you come up with a username that's not already in use.
To change your username, you can edit your profile.
Trademark violations may involve using a company or business name, logo or other trademark-protected materials in a manner that may mislead or confuse others with regard to its brand or business affiliation.
What is not a violation?
Using another's trademark in a way that has nothing to do with the product or service for which the trademark was granted is not a violation of Instagram's trademark policy. Note that Instagram usernames are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be reserved.
How do I report a trademark violation?Learn more about other types of trademark violations or submit a report of a username violating your trademark.
Most likely, someone tried to sign up for an Instagram account using your email address by mistake. To remove your email from the account:
- If you have an Instagram account, log out. Before logging out, make sure the you have access to the email address currently associated with your account. Learn how to update your email address. If you don't have an Instagram account, skip to step 2.
- Click let us know at the bottom of the Welcome to Instagram email to let us know this wasn't you.
You should then be able to use this email address to sign up for an Instagram account or add it to your existing account.
If you're still having issues with your email or phone number, let us know.
If you signed up for Instagram with your email address or phone number but you can't remember your password, you can reset your password and log into your account.
If you've typed your email address or phone number correctly and see a message that an account with your email address or phone number already exists, let us know.
Keep in mind that an email address can only be associated with one Instagram account.