Adding Effects & Filters
Once you've taken or uploaded a photo or video, you can edit it by applying filters:
- Tap Next, then tap the filter you’d like to apply.
- Tap the filter again if you want to adjust filter strength up or down using the slider. Tap Done to save your change.
- Tap Next to add a caption and location and to share your photo.
Learn more about managing your filters.
You can personalize your filters by adding, hiding and rearranging the filters you see when posting a photo or video.
Start by uploading a photo or video and swiping all the way to the right on your filters, until you reach the end. Then tap Manage. From there, you can:
- Add a filter: Tap the filter you'd like to add. You'll see next to the filters that currently appear when you post a photo or video.
- Hide a filter: Tap the filter you'd like to hide. You'll see next to filters that are hidden.
- Rearrange your filters: Tap and hold the filter you'd like to move. Then drag it to the position you'd like.
When you've finished personalizing your filters, tap Done to return to your photo or video.
If you don't see one of your filters, it may be hidden. To add a hidden filter back:
- Tap at the bottom of the screen and select a photo or video to post.
- Tap Next in the top-right.
- At the bottom of the screen, swipe all the way to the right on your filters, until you reach the end. From there, tap Manage.
- Tap the filter you'd like to add. You'll see next to filters that currently appear and next to filters that are hidden.
- Tap Done to return to your post.
Learn more about managing your filters.
You can edit photos you take or upload from your phone's library. Once you've taken or uploaded a photo, tap Next then tap Edit at the bottom of the screen. Learn more about the effects you can create:
- Tap Adjust to change the photo's vertical or horizontal perspective.
- Tap Brightness to make your photo brighter or darker.
- Tap Contrast to make the bright areas of your photo brighter and the dark areas darker.
- Tap Structure to bring out the detail and texture in your photo.
- Tap Warmth to shift the colors of your photo towards warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Tap Saturation to increase or decrease the color intensity of the image (ex: adjust up to make the red redder).
- Tap Color to add a color (yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, cyan or green) to either the shadows or highlights of your photo. Tap the color you want to use twice to adjust the strength of the color.
- Tap Fade to give your photo an aged look.
- Tap Highlights to adjust the focus on the bright areas of the image.
- Tap Shadows to adjust focus on the dark areas of the image.
- Tap Vignette to darken the edges of the photo. Adding a vignette can direct the attention away from the edges towards the center of the photo.
- Tap Sharpen to add crispness to your photo and make the photo appear clearer.
- Tap Tilt Shift to give the appearance of a shallow depth of field, or placing the focus on a subject in the background while blurring out the foreground and vice versa.
You can remove any of the effects you’ve applied as long as your post is in preview mode and you haven’t shared it yet. A gray dot appears under each of the effects you've applied to the photo.
To undo or remove an effect:
- Tap the tool you used (example: Adjust, Brightness)
- Adjust the slider back to 0
- Tap Done to save your change
After you've uploaded or taken a new photo, you can crop it. To crop a photo:
- Tap Edit > Adjust .
- Touch the screen and pinch to zoom in. Then move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or Done to save your change.
You can also add effects to your photo.
When you take a photo using the Instagram in-app camera or upload a photo from your phone's library, you can straighten it with the Adjust tool. Once you upload a photo:
- Take or upload a photo, then tap Edit at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Adjust, then swipe the slider left or right to straighten the photo. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or tap Done to save your change.