How do I use text messages (SMS) for two-factor authentication on Instagram?
When you turn on two-factor authentication, you're asked to choose either text message (SMS) codes or a third-party authentication app as your primary security method. If you choose to use text message (SMS), you'll be sent a text message (SMS) with a special 6-digit security code each time someone tries logging into your Instagram account from a device we don't recognize.
To turn on text message (SMS) login codes for your mobile phone:
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Security, then tap Two-Factor Authentication.
- Tap Get Started.
- Tap next to Text Message.
- If your account doesn't have a confirmed phone number, you'll be asked to enter one. After entering the phone number, tap Next.
Keep in mind that you must have a confirmed telephone number for your Instagram account to use text messages (SMS) two-factor authentication. When you enter a telephone number to turn on two-factor authentication, it becomes the confirmed number for your account.
- How do I change the phone number that I use for two-factor authentication?
- How do I turn on two-factor authentication on Instagram for multiple devices?
- What's two-factor authentication? How do I use it on Instagram?
- How do I use an authentication app for two-factor authentication on Instagram?
- What's a recovery code? How do I use it on Instagram?