What are Instagram Insights?
Instagram Insights provide information on who your followers are, when they're online and more. You can also view insights for specific posts and stories you've created to see how each performed and how people are engaging with them. You can view insights on posts, stories and your overall account.
- Discovery - This insight measures how many people see your content and where they find it. This metric includes Reach and Impressions.
- Impressions - The number of times your posts and stories were on-screen.
- Reach - The number of unique accounts who viewed your posts and stories
- Interactions - The actions people take when they engage with your account. This can include Website Clicks or Profile Visits.
- Website Clicks - The number of clicks to links you've included in your business profile description
- Profile Visits - The number of times an account clicks on your username (to visit your profile)
Insights and metrics about your account include paid activity as well. Reach, accounts reached, impressions, and impressions by day reflect both paid and organic activity.
You'll also see the following insights about your followers, including gender, age and location information
- Saved: The number of unique accounts that saved your post
The Actions section of your post insights shows you how many actions were taken on your profile from your post. Actions are counted when people view your post, visit your business profile, then take perform an action. For example, someone may see your post in their feed, visit your profile, then follow your account.
- Profile Visits: The number of times an account clicks on your username (to visit your profile)
- Follows: The number of accounts that started following you
- Website Clicks: The number of clicks to links you've included in your business profile description
The Actions section also shows the number of times people click specific call-to-action buttons (ex. Get Directions, Email and others).
The Discovery section of your post insights shows where your post was seen the most
- % of accounts that saw your post and aren't following you
- Reach: The number of unique accounts who saw your post
Impressions (by surface): The total number of times your post has been seen from a particular surface, including:
- Home - Home shows a feed of photos posted by you and the accounts you follow. You can like and comment on photos in your feed.
- Search & Explore - Through Search & Explore you can find photos and videos that you might like from accounts you don't yet follow. You may also see curated topics that we think the Instagram community will enjoy.
- Profile - Profile shows your bio and Instagram posts. It's also where you can edit your profile info and adjust your Account Settings.
- Location - Location pages show public photos and videos that were shared with the corresponding location.
- Hashtags - Hashtag pages show public photos and videos that were shared with the corresponding hashtag.
Impressions from Other could be generated by:
- Posts that have been shared through direct messages
- Posts that have been saved
- Posts you've been tagged or mentioned in
- Post notifications that you've been mentioned or tagged in
- Posts that show up on the Following tab in your notifications
- Impressions – The total number of views your story has received.
- Reach – The number of unique accounts who saw your story
- Taps forward – The number of times someone taps to skip to the next piece of your story
- Taps back - The number of times someone taps to go back to a previous piece of your story.
- Replies – The number of times people send messages through the Send Message option on your story
- Swipe away – The number of times someone swipes to skip to the next account’s story
- Exits – The number of times someone leaves the stories viewer to return to their feed
Note: Currently, we don't offer insights for live content.
Keep in mind that impressions and reach are different. A single individual may see your post 5 times. Each time they see it, you get an impression. Reach is based on the number of unique people who view your post. Each unique account is only counted once, even if they view your post multiple times.
If your post contains multiple photos or videos, they are still counted as if there's only one photo or video in your post.
For example, regardless of whether someone only views the first out of 10 photos in your post, the post will only receive one impression. Even posts with multiple photos and videos receive one impression for the entire post, when someone views them.
You'll only see insights for posts and stories you've posted since you converted to a business account
Do you still have questions? Find additional support on our resources page.