What happens to content I've deleted from my Instagram account?
You can choose to delete content from your Instagram account. This includes content like:
- Photos and videos from your Profile
- Photos and videos from your Instagram story
- Instagram stories from highlights and your story archive
- Direct Messages
Note that your Data Download file doesn't include messages that you've unsent from your Instagram account.
It may take up to 90 days to complete the deletion process after it begins. Copies of your content may remain after the 90 days in backup storage that we use to recover in the event of a disaster, software error, or other data loss event. We may also keep your information for things like legal issues, terms violations, or harm prevention efforts. Learn more about this in our Data Policy .
Learn more about how to restore content you've recently deleted.
- How do I restore content I’ve deleted from my Instagram account?
- I think my Instagram account has been hacked.
- What is labeled state-controlled media on Instagram?
- Does two-factor authentication still work on Instagram accounts I've linked to a single login?
- How do I review recent emails sent from Instagram?