How do I appeal Instagram’s content decision to the Oversight Board?
Before you can appeal Instagram's content decision to the Oversight Board, you must first go through the request a review process. If we review your content again and you get a notification saying that we have confirmed your post does not follow our Community Guidelines, you may be eligible to appeal that decision to the Oversight Board. However, not all decisions will be eligible for appeal.
To check if you are currently eligible to appeal Instagram's content decision to the Oversight Board:
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Help.
- Tap Support Requests, then tap Violations.
- Open the update we sent you about our decision. You can also tap the violation notification if it appears in .
- If your content is eligible for appeal, you’ll see a message containing an Oversight Board Reference ID. This reference ID begins with "IG", followed by 8 numbers and letters. If you do not see this message then you are not currently eligible to appeal a decision to the Oversight Board.
If you do have an Oversight Board reference ID in your Support Inbox, you can use it to appeal Instagram's content decision to the Oversight Board.
To appeal Instagram's decision to the Oversight Board using your Reference ID:
- Tap on your Oversight Board Reference ID to copy it. This reference ID begins with IG, followed by 8 numbers and letters.
- Follow the on-screen instructions which will take you to the Oversight Board website to complete your appeal. On the Oversight Board website, you’ll see options to log in with a Facebook or Instagram account. Log in with the account your Reference ID was issued to.
- Once logged in to the Oversight Board website, you’ll be asked to provide responses to a few questions before completing the appeal. Your responses provide information about your post and help the Board understand why you think Instagram made the wrong decision.
Once you submit the appeal, the Oversight Board will decide whether or not to review it. The board only selects a certain number of eligible appeals to review, so they may not choose yours.
At any point following the submission of your appeal, you’ll be able to check the appeal status by logging on to the Oversight Board’s website using your reference ID. Keep in mind that there is a time limit on appealing decisions to the Oversight Board. Once the window to appeal a decision has expired, you will no longer be able to submit it.