What can I do if I've been phished on Instagram?
What is phishing?
Phishing is when someone tries to get access to your Instagram account by sending you a suspicious message or link that asks for your personal information. These messages may also claim that your account will be banned or deleted if you don’t follow their directions. If they get into your account, they may use your account to send spam.
Example: Joey gets an email saying he needs to log into his Instagram account and read an important message about his account. The email links to a strange looking website asking him to enter his username and password.
I think I've been phished. What can I do?
If you accidentally entered your username or password into a strange link, someone else might be able to log in to your account. Here are some things you can do.
- If you are able to log in to your account, learn how to secure your account by resetting your password and logging out of any devices you don't own.
- You can always report strange emails to email@example.com.
How do I avoid getting phished?
Look out for suspicious emails or messages
- Don't trust messages demanding money, offering gifts or threatening to delete or ban your Instagram account.
- Emails from Instagram/Facebook about your account will only come from @mail.instagram.com or @facebookmail.com.
Don't click suspicious links
- If you get a suspicious email or message claiming to be from Instagram, don't click any links or attachments.
Don't respond to these emails
- Don't answer messages asking for your password, social security number, or credit card information.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional account security.
- Learn how to increase your account's security on Instagram.