Tagging & Mentions
Tagging People in Your Photos and Videos
You can tag people in a photo or video that you share on Instagram.
To tag people as you're posting a photo or video:
- After you've selected a photo or video and added effects and filters, tap Tag People from the Share screen.
- Tap on someone in the photo.
- Start entering their name or username and select them from the dropdown menu.
- Tap Done (iPhone) or (Android).
To add people to a photo or video you've already shared:
- Go to the photo or video.
- Tap (iPhone) or(Android) above the photo or video.
- Tap Edit.
- Tap Tag People.
The people you tag in a photo or video are visible to anyone who can see it.
If your Instagram account is public, anyone can see the photo or video, and the person you tagged will get a notification. If your Instagram account is private, only your approved followers can see the photo or video, and the person you tag will only get a notification if they're following you.
Photos and Videos You're Tagged in
When other people tag you in photos or videos, they may show up on your profile. To see photos and videos you've been tagged in, go to your profile and tap . Who can see these on your profile depends on your visibility settings:
- Posts are Public: Anyone can see photos and videos you're tagged in on your profile.
- Posts are Private: Only confirmed followers can see photos and videos you're tagged in on your profile.
You can hide photos and videos you're tagged in from your profile or remove the tag if you don't want anyone to see them. You can also choose to manually approve photos and videos you're tagged in before they appear on your profile.
To hide a photo or video you're tagged in:
- Tap the photo or video.
- Tap your username.
- Tap Hide from My Profile then Done (iOS) or tap next to Show in Your Profile (Android).
You can add a photo or video back to your profile by repeating steps 1-2 above and then tapping Show on My Profile.
To hide multiple photos or videos at once:
- Go to your profile and tap .
- Tap Settings > Photos and Videos of You.
- Tap Hide Photos and Videos.
- Select the photos or videos you'd like to hide from your profile, then tap Hide (iOS) or (Android).
Keep in mind that hiding a photo or video from your profile doesn't remove you from the photo or video itself. Learn more about removing yourself from a photo or video you're tagged in.
You can choose whether photos and videos you're tagged in appear on your profile automatically or manually. When you choose to add photos and videos manually, they'll appear on your profile only after you approve them. By default, when someone tags a photo or video of you, it will automatically be added to your profile.
To manually select the photos and videos that appear on your profile:
- Go to your profile and tap .
- Tap Settings.
- Select Photos and Videos of You.
- Tap next to Add Automatically to turn this off.
If you choose to add photos and videos to your profile manually, you'll still be notified when someone tags you in a photo or video. To add that photo or video to your profile, tap the photo or video, then tap your username and select Show on My Profile (iOS) or tap next to Show in Your Profile (Android).