How do I help a member of the US military community (example: active soldier, veteran or family member) who has shared suicidal content?
If a friend or family member is planning suicide or you've seen a direct threat of suicide on Instagram, please contact your local emergency services or a suicide hotline immediately. We also ask that you tell us if you see something that suggests suicide or self-injury on Facebook.
The Veterans Crisis Line provides customized support to members of the military community, including veterans, active duty service members and their families. Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
You can contact them by:
- Calling their toll-free hotline at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1
- Visiting http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/ to chat online
- Sending a text message to 838255
Additional resources available to the military community include:
- How do I help an LGBT person who has shared suicidal content on Instagram?
- How do I help a law enforcement officer who has posted suicidal content?
- How do I help someone who may be a victim of human trafficking or has shared suspicious posts related to human trafficking?
- How can I or my teen report abusive behavior or inappropriate/offensive material?
- How do I report an inappropriate video?