How do I help a member of the US military community (example: active soldier, veteran or family member) who has shared suicidal content on Instagram?
If a friend or family member is planning suicide or you've seen a direct threat of suicide on Instagram, please contact your local emergency services or a suicide hotline immediately. We also ask that you tell us if you see something that suggests suicide or self-injury on Instagram.
The Veterans Crisis Line provides customized support to members of the military community, including veterans, active duty service members and their families. Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
You can contact them by:
- Calling their toll-free hotline at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1
- Visiting http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/ to chat online
- Sending a text message to 838255
Additional resources available to the military community include:
- How do I help an LGBTQ person who has shared suicidal content on Instagram?
- I'm worried about someone after seeing content they've shared on Instagram about suicide or self-injury. What can I do?
- How do I manage my privacy on Instagram?
- I think someone I know may have a problem with opioid or substance misuse.
- How can I report a convicted sex offender on Instagram?