How do I manage message requests on Instagram?
To manage who can send you message requests on Instagram:
From the Instagram app for Android and iPhone
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Privacy, then tap Messages.
- Choose whether message requests from potential connections or other people go to your Chats list (inbox), Message Requests folder, or whether to receive them at all.
Note that you’ll need to accept message requests in your Message Requests folder before they appear in your Chats list. Messages from people you follow on Instagram will appear in your Chats list.
You can choose who can add you to groups. Group chats between Instagram and Facebook accounts are currently unavailable.
- Everyone on Instagram: Group chats from an Instagram account you’ve already connected with will appear in your Chats list. All other group chats will be sent to your Message Requests folder.
- Only People You Follow on Instagram: People you don’t follow won’t be able to add you to a group. They’ll see you don’t allow everyone to add you to groups if they try.
Accounts you’ve blocked won’t be able to send you message requests or add you to groups. If the account you’ve blocked is in a group chat you’ve been added to, you’ll be notified before you join the chat.
Learn how to report a message on Instagram.
- How do I block or unblock someone in a chat while using Messenger features on Instagram?
- How do I create or join a Messenger Room on Instagram?
- What are Messenger features on Instagram?
- How do I report a message or chat sent in vanish mode on Instagram?
- How do I watch videos or view posts with other people on Instagram?