What's two-factor authentication and how does it work on Instagram?
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Instagram account and your password. If you set up two-factor authentication, you’ll receive a notification or be asked to enter a special login code when someone tries logging into your account from a device we don't recognize.
To turn on two-factor authentication from the Instagram app:
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Security, then tap Two-Factor Authentication.
- Tap Get Started at the bottom.
- Choose the security method you want to add and follow the on-screen instructions.
When you set up two-factor authentication on Instagram, you’ll be asked to choose one of two security methods:
You'll need to have at least one of these set up in order to use two-factor authentication.
Note: After you've turned on two-factor authentication, you'll be able to see login requests, remove trusted devices and access backup codes for your account if you have issues receiving a recovery code. Learn more about recovery codes.
Other Useful Resources
- If you haven't marked the device you're using as a trusted device, you can do so when you log in from that device using two-factor authentication. This way you won't have to enter a security code when you log in again. Trusted devices are any device that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication and have marked as trusted by tapping Trust this device.
- Keep in mind that you shouldn’t tap Trust this device if you're using a public or shared device that other people you may not know can access.
- To set up text message (SMS) two-factor authentication, you can either use a mobile number that’s already been added to your account or add a new number.
- What are login requests on Instagram and how do I turn them on or off?
- How do I use text messages (SMS) for two-factor authentication on Instagram?
- Does two-factor authentication still work on Instagram accounts I've linked to a single login?
- How do I turn on two-factor authentication on Instagram for multiple devices?
- How do I use an authentication app for two-factor authentication on Instagram?