I'm having thoughts about suicide or self-injury.
If you're in immediate physical danger, please contact local law enforcement or a suicide hotline for help.
If you're going through something difficult and the threat isn't immediate, we want you to know there are things you can do right now that may help you:
- Talk to someone at a helpline
- Reach out to someone you trust
- Give yourself a break and do something that makes you feel happy and good about yourself
Talk to someone at a helpline
- If you live outside the US or want to see other hotlines, please visit our full list of prevention resources.
- In the US, United Kingdom and Ireland, contact Reach Out: 1-800-448-3000; http://us.reachout.com/facts/self-harm
- In Australia, contact headspace: 1800 650 890; http://headspace.org.au/get-info/self-harm
- In other countries, contact Befrienders: 1-800-448-3000; http://www.befrienders.org/about-self-harm
- In the US, contact the National Eating Disorders Association: 1-800-931-2237; email@example.com; www.NationalEatingDisorders.org
- Take a free, anonymous online assessment to help you understand your risk of an eating disorder
Reach out to someone you trust
Contact someone you trust, like a family member, friend, counselor or teacher, and ask them to let you share what’s on your mind. For example, you could say, "I'm going through something difficult and was hoping to talk to you about it. If that's OK with you, can you take some time to listen?"
Give yourself a break and do something that makes you feel happy and good about yourself
It can be difficult to focus when you're overwhelmed or can't find a solution to a problem right away. Stop for a moment, take a deep breath and give yourself a break from your feelings.
- Go for a walk, jog or bike ride
- Go to the movies
- Visit somewhere new, like a coffee shop, museum or park you've never been
- Draw something simple
- Make a nice meal
- Write a short story
- Meditate or do yoga
- Take a hot shower
- Listen to your favorite songs
- Look at the clouds
- Read a book, magazine or blog post
- Take a nap
If the tips above don't work for you, see more things you can do right now.