Posting & Adding Locations
To upload a photo or take a new one, first tap at the bottom of the screen:
- To upload a photo from your phone's library, tap Library at the bottom of the screen and select the photo you'd like to share.
- To take a new photo, tap Photo at the bottom of the screen then tap . You can tap to switch between front and rear-facing cameras and to adjust flash.
Note: You can't take or upload photos from a desktop computer.
You can upload up to 10 photos and videos and share them as a single post in Feed:
- Tap then tap Library at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap .
- Select up to 10 photos and videos from your phone's library. To adjust how each photo or video is cropped, tap it then touch the screen to adjust how it fits in the frame. Keep in mind that you can only share posts as a square, not as a portrait or landscape. When you're done, tap Next in the top right.
- Tap a filter at the bottom of the screen to apply it to every photo and video you've selected, or tap a photo or video to edit it and add filters individually.
- To change the order of your photos and videos, tap and hold one then drag it to another spot. To remove a photo or video from your post, tap and hold one, then drag it to at the top of the screen. When you're done, tap Next in the top right.
- You can add one location and caption for your entire post, and tag someone in each individual photo. Tap Tag People, then swipe to find the photo you'd like to tag someone in.
- Tap Share.
In Feed, you'll see the first photo or video from your post with a row of dots below it. People can swipe to see the rest of the photos or videos you've shared. On your profile, you’ll see the first photo or video from your post with in the top right. From your profile, you can tap the post, then swipe to view the rest of the photos and videos you've shared.
People can like and comment on your post just like a regular post. Comments and likes appear on the entire post, rather than on the individual photos and videos that are part of your post.
After you've shared a post with multiple photos and videos, you can edit the caption or location. While you're not able to reorder, edit or delete parts of the posts you've shared, you can delete the post. You also aren't able to change the accounts you've tagged in your post.
Keep in mind that posts containing multiple videos may take longer to upload. If your post contains multiple videos, make sure you're connected to a reliable network.
After you take or choose a photo or video and add any effects or filters you want, you can add a caption. Tap where it says Write a caption.... Add your caption and tap OK. Then tap Share to upload your post.
Learn how to add or edit the caption of a photo or video you've already posted.
You can add a caption to a photo or video you've already shared, or edit or delete the caption you originally included. To add, edit or delete a caption:
- Tap (iOS) or (Android) above your photo or video
- Tap Edit
- Edit, delete or add a caption, then tap Done
When you tap below a post, the word Edited will appear above captions that have been edited.
After you've uploaded or taken a new photo, you can crop it. To crop a photo:
- Tap Edit > Adjust .
- Touch the screen and pinch to zoom in. Then move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or Done to save your change.
You can also add effects to your photo.
When you take a photo using the Instagram in-app camera or upload a photo from your phone's library, you can straighten it with the Adjust tool. Once you upload a photo:
- Take or upload a photo, then tap Edit at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Adjust , then swipe the slider left or right to straighten the photo. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Cancel to cancel or tap Done to save your change.
Once you've selected a photo or video from your phone or tablet's photo library, you can choose to share it as a portrait or landscape instead of a square:
- Tap to switch the photo from a square to a portrait or landscape.
- You can touch the screen to move the photo and adjust how it fits within the frame. Use the grid to help you frame the photo.
- Tap Next to apply effects or a filter.
Once you share it, the photo or video will appear as a portrait or landscape in Feed. You can share photos and videos with aspect ratios between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
Note: In grid view on your profile, photos shared as a portrait or landscape will appear as a center-cropped square.
You can save photos you've filtered and edited on Instagram to your phone. To save your photos to your phone:
- Go to your profile
- In the top right, tap on iPhone or on Android
- Tap next to Save Original Photos
When you have Save Original Photos on, every time you post a photo on Instagram, it will also be saved to your phone's library.
Note: People using Instagram on Android may see a delay in photos appearing in their phone’s Instagram photo album.
When you share a photo on Instagram, regardless of whether you're using Instagram for iOS or Android, we make sure to upload it at the best quality resolution possible (up to a width of 1080 pixels).
When you share a photo that has a width between 320 and 1080 pixels, we keep that photo at its original resolution as long as the photo's aspect ratio is between 1.91:1 and 4:5 (a height between 566 and 1350 pixels with a width of 1080 pixels). If the aspect ratio of your photo isn't supported, it will be cropped to fit a supported ratio. If you share a photo at a lower resolution, we enlarge it to a width of 320 pixels. If you share a photo at a higher resolution, we size it down to a width of 1080 pixels.
If you want to make sure that your photo is shared with a width of 1080 pixels:
- Download the most recent version of the Instagram app.
- Upload a photo with a width of at least 1080 pixels with an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- Make sure you're using a phone with a high-quality camera as different phones have cameras of varying qualities.
To upload a video or record a new one, first tap at the bottom of the screen:
- To upload a video from your phone's library, tap Library at the bottom of the screen and select the video you'd like to share.
- To record a video, tap Video at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold to start recording, and lift your finger to stop. You can tap and hold again to record multiple video clips and tap to switch between cameras.
Note: You can't take or upload videos from a desktop computer.
Tap at the bottom of the screen, then tap Video. Tap to begin recording. To take multiple clips for your video, lift your finger off to pause. When you're ready to record your next clip, tap and hold the record button again.
To delete a previous clip in your video, tap Delete and tap to confirm.
Keep in mind that the maximum video length is 60 seconds.
You can upload a video with multiple clips from your phone's library. To upload a video with multiple clips:
- Tap .
- Tap Library at the bottom of the screen and select a video you'd like to upload.
- Tap Next in the top right, then tap Trim at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen.
- Select any other video clips you'd like to add, then tap Done. At the bottom of the screen, you can tap video clips to trim them, or tap and hold to reorder them. To delete a clip from your video, drag it to the middle of the screen.
- You can add effects or filters, a caption and your location before sharing. Once you're done, tap Next.
You can also record a video with multiple clips.
Keep in mind that videos with multiple clips can't be uploaded as a landscape or portrait.
Below a video, you can see a count of how many times it's been viewed. A video's view count is visible to anyone who can see the post. Note that you're not able to see the number of views for videos that you've shared as part of a post with multiple photos and videos.
A video's view count doesn't include video loops, and a view is counted when a video is watched for 3 seconds or more.
Keep in mind that view counts will only show up on videos that were uploaded after November 19, 2015.
It may take some time before a view shows up in a video's view count. If views aren't showing up on your video, try checking back later. Note that you're not able to see the number of views for videos that you've shared as part of a post with multiple photos and videos.
Also, keep in mind that a video's view count only includes views from within the Instagram app, and not from other places like an embedded post or on desktop. If your account is set to private, you may not see the view count until your video has reached a certain number of views.
View counts will only show up on videos that were uploaded after November 19, 2015.
- Tap Add Location
- Find your location in the suggestions or search for the location and select it
- Tap Share
You can also use a public Facebook event as a location. Just like a place page, you can tap the event name to view all photos and videos shared publicly at that event or location.
You can add a location to a photo or video you've already shared or edit the location you originally included. To add or edit your location, first tap above your photo or video. Then tap Edit.
- To add a location: Tap Add Location... and enter the location.
- To edit a location: Tap the location name > Change Location. Then choose a new location or remove the location tag from your post.
Public location pages on Facebook can be added to your Instagram posts. If the location you're looking for doesn't currently exist, you can create a new one on Facebook. To create a new location, log into Facebook on your smartphone and create the location. Once you've created the location on Facebook, you'll be able to add it to your Instagram posts.