To tag a photo or video with a hashtag:
- Take or upload a photo or video.
- Choose to add a filter, then tap Next.
- Tap Write a caption... and type # followed by text or emoji (example: #flower).
- If you want to add a hashtag to a post you've already uploaded, edit the caption or include your hashtag in a comment on your photo.
After you tag your post with a hashtag, you'll be able to tap the hashtag to see a page that shows all photos and videos people have uploaded with that hashtag.
Things to keep in mind:
- When people with private profiles tag posts, they won't appear publicly on hashtag pages.
- Numbers are allowed in hashtags. However, spaces and special characters, like $ or %, won't work.
- You can only tag your own posts. You can't tag other people's photos/videos.
- You can use up to 30 tags on a post. If you include more than 30 tags on a single photo/video, your comment won't post.
To see the page for a location or hashtag, you can search for it or tap the hashtag or location that appears on a post.
Hashtag and location pages include public posts and stories that have been shared with the corresponding hashtag or location. Learn more about hashtag and location pages.
Hashtag and location pages include public photos and videos that were shared with the corresponding hashtag or location. You can tap at the top of these pages to see public stories, and scroll down to see public posts.
If your account is set to private, only your approved followers will be able to see posts you've shared, and photos and videos from your story won't appear on hashtag or location pages.
At the top of some hashtag pages you may see a section called Top Posts. Top posts appear on trending hashtags to show you some of the popular posts tagged with that hashtag.
In the Most Recent section, photos and videos appear in the order that they were posted.
Keep in mind that if you add a hashtag to a photo after it was posted, the photo will still appear on the hashtag page according to the time it was originally posted, not the time the hashtag was added.
If your posts are set to public, anyone will be able to see your profile by visiting instagram.com/[your username] on the web.
If your posts are set to private, your photos will be visible to people logged into Instagram who you've approved to follow you.
Learn more about adjusting your privacy settings. The privacy settings you set on mobile are the same as your privacy settings on the web.
By default, anyone can see your profile and posts on Instagram. You can make your account private so that only followers you approve can see what you share. If your account is set to private, only your approved followers will see your photos or videos on hashtag or location pages.
Set your account to private from the Instagram app on your Android or iOS device
- Go to your profile, then tap .
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Privacy > Account Privacy.
- Tap next to Private Account to make your account private.
Set your account to private on your computer or mobile browser
- Go to instagram.com on your computer or mobile browser.
- Click , then click .
- Click Privacy and Security.
- Below Account Privacy, click to check the box next to Private Account.
Things to keep in mind about private accounts
- Private posts you share to social networks may be visible to the public depending on your privacy settings for those networks. For example, a post you share to Twitter that was set to private on Instagram may be visible to the people who can see your Twitter posts.
- Once you make your account private, people will have to send you a follow request to see your posts, your followers list or your following list.
- Follow requests appear in Activity, where you can approve or ignore them.
- If someone was already following you before you set your posts to private and you don't want them to see your posts, you can block them.
- People can send a photo or video directly to you even if they’re not following you.