What happens when I block someone on Instagram?
Please update your Instagram app to the latest version to have the most up-to-date experience for blocking.
When you block someone, that person won't be able to find your profile, posts or story on Instagram. People aren't notified when you block them.
Likes and comments
- After you block someone, their likes and comments will be removed from your photos and videos. Unblocking someone won't restore their previous likes and comments.
- People that you block can still see your likes and comments on posts that were shared by public accounts or accounts they follow.
Mentions and tags
- After you block someone, they won't be able to mention your username or tag you.
- If you block someone and then change your username, they won't be able to mention or tag you unless they know your new username.
- After you block someone, your messaging threads with them will remain in your Direct inbox, but you won't be able to message them.
- If you're in a group message with someone you've blocked, you'll get a dialog asking whether you want to stay in the group or leave. If you choose to stay in the group, you'll be able to see messages from the person you blocked in the group.
- If the person you blocked sends you any messages in Direct, you won't receive those messages, and they won't be delivered later if you unblock them.
If you no longer want to block someone, you can unblock them.
- Can a person I blocked still mention me on Instagram?
- When I block someone on Instagram, do their likes and comments disappear from my photos and videos?
- How do I block or unblock someone on Instagram?
- How do I block or unblock someone from commenting on my Instagram photos and videos?
- Are my comments and likes still visible to people I block on Instagram?