Video on Instagram
Instagram is a community where you can capture and share the world’s moments simply and beautifully. We’re thrilled to introduce video on Instagram and bring you another way to share your stories.
Taking and Sharing Videos
To record a video or upload one from your phone or tablet's library, first tap at the bottom of the app.
- To record a video: tap to switch from camera to video, then tap and hold the red circle. Lift your finger off the screen to stop recording. If you'd like to turn the camera to face you, tap .
- To upload a video from your phone or tablet's library: tap (iOS) or (Android) and select the video you'd like to share.
Note: Video recording is currently only available for the iOS and Android apps.
You can share videos to Instagram you've previously recorded on your iPhone or Android phone:
- Tap at the bottom of the app.
- Tap to switch from photo to video.
- On iPhone, tap the box in the bottom right to go to your phone's video library. On Android, tap to go to your phone's video library.
- Pick the video you want to upload. On iPhone, tap Next at the top.
- Tap to edit the length of the video. Keep in mind that videos can't be more than 15 seconds long.
- Tap Next on iPhone or on Android.
After you've recorded your video, tap Next. Tap a filter at the bottom of the screen to preview how it will look with your video. Make sure to swipe to the left to scroll through all your options.
Once you've selected a filter you like, tap Next to continue to the share screen.
If you're taking videos on the go, you might find that they're a little shaky. For iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, we've built a Cinema feature that lets you stabilize your video after you take it.
Stabilization is turned on by default. To turn it off, simply tap .
By default, Instagram preloads videos so they start faster whenever possible. If you want to reduce the amount of cellular data the Instagram app uses, you can choose not to have Instagram preload videos over cellular connections. If you choose to use less data, videos may take longer to load over a cellular connection.
To use less data on Instagram:
- Go to your profile by tapping
- Tap (Android) or (iPhone) and then tap Cellular Data Use
- Choose Default or Use Less Data
Choosing to use less data won't affect the way Instagram works when you're using WiFi.
Download the latest Instagram app to get video on Instagram. After downloading the latest app, the following phones can start recording video right away:
People using a 3GS phone or newer running iOS 5.0 or later
People running Android 4.0 or later
If your phone isn't supported for video recording, you may still be able to view videos that other people share.