I'm worried about someone after seeing content they've shared about suicide or self-injury. What can I do?
If someone you know is in immediate physical danger, please local emergency services for help.
If the threat of physical danger isn't immediate, there are things you can do to help:
- Report the content to us so we can reach out to this person with information that may be helpful to them.
- Share resources and contact information that this person may find helpful.
- Provide support to this person or contact a family member, friend, counselor or teacher, who may be able to provide support.
Report the content
To report a post for suicide or self-injury:
- Tap [iOS] or [Android] above the post.
- Tap Report.
- Select It's Inappropriate > Self injury.
- Tap Report [Android only].
- If you live outside the US or want to see other hotlines, please visit our full list of prevention resources.
- In the US, United Kingdom and Ireland, contact Reach Out: 1-800-448-3000; http://us.reachout.com/facts/self-harm
- In Australia, contact headspace: 1800 650 890; http://headspace.org.au/get-info/self-harm
- In other countries, contact Befrienders: 1-800-448-3000; http://www.befrienders.org/about-self-harm
- In the US, contact the National Eating Disorders Association: 1-800-931-2237; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.NationalEatingDisorders.org
- Learn about eating disorders and what you can do if you think a friend has an eating disorder
- Take the experience seriously and view resources for responding to suicide warning signals.
- If possible, make sure your friend doesn’t have easy access to firearms or large doses of medication.
- Listen carefully, communicate care and avoid offering solutions unless your friend asks.
- Validate your friend's emotions and let them know they're important to you.
- Be available, both today and in the future. Follow up with your friend regularly to show that you care.
- How can I or my teen report abusive behavior or inappropriate/offensive material?
- How do I report an inappropriate video?
- How do I help a law enforcement officer who has posted suicidal content?
- How do I help a member of the US military community (example: active soldier, veteran or family member) who has shared suicidal content?
- I need to find a suicide hotline for myself or a friend.