How do I use hashtags?
If your posts are set to public, you can add hashtags to your photos and videos.
To tag a photo or video:
- Take a photo/video and choose a filter.
- On the screen you see after choosing a filter, type your hashtag in the Caption field (ex: #flower).
- If you want to tag a post you've already uploaded, edit the caption or include your #hashtag in a comment on your photo.
After you tag your post with a hashtag, you'll be able to tap the hashtag to see a page that shows all photos and videos people have uploaded with that hashtag. Read our blog for more tips on using hashtags.
Things to keep in mind:
- When people with private profiles tag posts, they won't appear publicly on hashtag pages.
- Numbers are allowed in hashtags. However, spaces and special characters, like $ or %, won't work.
- You can only tag your own posts. You can't tag other people's photos/videos.
- You can use up to 30 tags on a post. If you include more than 30 tags on a single photo/video, your comment won't post.
- Older versions of Apple iOS don't support tapping hashtags. Instead, search hashtags by going to Search & Explore > Search > Hashtags.