What are some tips for uploading, recording and editing my story?
When you share a photo or video to your story, you can use creative tools to help capture and edit them.
Taking photos and videos
- On iPhone, you'll automatically see when your phone detects darkness. Tap it to take better photos and videos in the dark.
- To take a photo or video with a face filter, tap then select a filter at the bottom of the screen. When using the front or back-facing camera, the filter you choose will automatically appear on the closest person’s face. Keep in mind that face filters aren't supported on some older devices.
- To zoom while recording a video, tap and hold with one finger to start recording, then slide up or down using that same finger.
- On iPhone, tap Music at the bottom of the screen, then search for a song. You can edit which part of the song you want to play in your story. This feature is only available on iOS devices in some countries right now.
- Tap Focus at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or video of a person in focus mode. When you take a focus photo or video of someone, the person stays in focus and the background blurs. Focus mode only works if there's a person in your photo or video.
- Tap Boomerang at the bottom of the screen, then tap the circle at the bottom to take a burst of photos that loops forward and backward.
- To take a video without having to tap and hold, swipe left at the bottom of the screen and tap Hands-Free. Tap once to start recording a video, or tap and hold to see a timer that counts down before recording.
- To take a video that plays in reverse, tap Rewind at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold to record a video, or tap once to record hands-free.
- Tap Superzoom to take a video that automatically zooms in on an object and plays a dramatic sound. Tap anywhere on the screen to select an area or object to zoom in on, then tap the circle at the bottom to start recording.
- On iPhone, tap Stop-Motion to make a video using a series of individual photos. Tap the circle to take your first photo, then keep tapping to take additional photos. When you're finished, tap Done to see your stop-motion video.
- On iPhone, you can switch between front and rear-facing cameras while recording a video. Tap and hold to start recording, then tap .
Using Type Mode
Tap Type at the bottom of the screen to share what's on your mind with different text styles and backgrounds—no photo or video required.
- Tap the button at the top to change the text style, or tap the circle in the bottom left to change the background color.
- You can add a background photo by tapping in the bottom right.
- Tap > to add more options (like stickers) and finish sharing to your story.
Editing photos and videos
To add a filter to your photo or video, swipe left or right after taking it.
You can also tap the following creative tools at the top of the screen:
Tap to add text. From there, you can:
- Add emoji.
- Adjust text size up or down by tapping and using the slider.
- Center text or align left or right by tapping .
- Rotate and resize the text by using two fingers to pinch and zoom.
- Choose a text color by tapping the colors at the at the bottom of the screen. Swipe to see more colors, or tap and hold a circle to choose a custom color.
- Change the text style by tapping the button at the top of the screen.
- Add a color background to text by tapping at the top of the screen and selecting a color.
- Pin text to a fixed spot in your video. After taking a video, add text, then tap it and hold. Use the slider bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the video to find where you want to pin the text. Move the text and tap Pin.
- Tap again to add another section of text.
- Type @ then enter someone's username to mention them.
- Enter a hashtag (example: #flower). People can tap it to view the page for that hashtag.
Tap to draw on your photo or video. From there, you can:
- Choose from different brushes and drawing tools from the options at the top of the screen.
- Adjust the line thickness by tapping in the bottom left and using the slider.
- Choose a color to draw with by tapping the colors at the bottom of the screen. Swipe left to see more colors, or tap and hold a circle for more color options. You can also tap and drag and drop it to select a color from your photo or video.