Instagram Purchase Protection Policy
Purchase Protection Policies
Understanding our policies
Our Purchase Protection Policies are here to provide you with peace of mind whenever you make a purchase through onsite checkout on Facebook or Instagram. We want you to have a great experience every time, but if you have an issue with your purchase, our Policies are in place to help make things right.
To qualify for Purchase Protection:
- Make sure that your purchase is eligible as a Protected Purchase as defined in this policy.
- Contact the merchant first to let them know there's a problem with the purchase. For eligible purchases, if you can't resolve the issue directly with the merchant, you may submit a claim through Facebook or Instagram.
- We will review your claim to determine whether it qualifies for Purchase Protection, and issue a refund for the full purchase price of the item and shipping costs if your claim is approved. Decisions are made in our sole discretion.
II. Protected Purchases
When are purchases protected?Many purchases that you make using onsite checkout on Facebook or Instagram are covered by our Purchase Protection policies. Your purchases are protected in the following situations:
- Item not received
- An item is considered “not received” if an item is not received by the buyer within 16 days after the merchant or individual seller confirms the order.
- Item damaged or significantly different than described. For example:
- Item was damaged during shipping
- Item is missing major parts, and this wasn't disclosed
- Item condition was different than described
- Item is a different version or edition than what was displayed for the purchase
- Item is completely different from what was ordered
- Merchant not following their stated refund policy
- Unauthorized purchases
When purchases aren't protected
The following items and situations are not covered by our Purchase Protection Policies:
- Any products or services that are prohibited by our Commerce Policies
- Real estate
- Financial products or investments
- Precious metals and gemstones
- Equity or debt in a business
- Custom or made-to-order items
- Industrial machinery
- Perishable items
- Buyer's remorse
- Items shipped using an intermediary or freight forwarding service
- Items where the exchange of the purchased item happens in-person
- Orders that have already been refunded or charged back by the buyer's bank
- Damage that occurs to items after they are delivered
- Items with a purchase price over $2,000
III. Disputes and Refunds
Reaching Out To The Merchant
You should first contact the merchant to resolve your issue with a purchase. The merchant has 2 business days to respond to you and attempt to resolve your issue.
Filing a Claim with Facebook or Instagram
If a merchant has not responded or resolved your issue after 2 business days, you can submit a claim for our review on the 3rd business day.
When you file a claim, answer the questions presented, and include details regarding your issue within the form. We'll review your claim, including any messages that you and the merchant sent to each other along with supporting documentation from the buyer and the merchant. We'll typically respond within 48 hours.
Refunds & Returns
If you are requesting a refund, remember to contact the merchant within the return period specified in the product listing and follow the merchant's instructions for returning the delivered item.
If the merchant is unresponsive or is not following their stated return policy, you may still be required to provide a valid tracking number of the returned item or other proof of return to us in order to receive a Purchase Protection refund.
You can file a claim for the full price of an item with a purchase price up to $2,000 including tax and shipping. You have a lifetime coverage limit of $10,000.
You must file a claim within 45 days from the date of delivery of your purchased product, or within 60 days for unauthorized claims. If you never received your item, you must wait 2 days after the last date of estimated delivery before filing a claim.
When reporting unauthorized purchases, you should notify us immediately so that we can try to protect you from financial loss. You must submit a claim within 60 days after the charge.
You must be in compliance with our terms and policies, including the Community Payments Terms, to be eligible for Purchase Protection.
Resolving and Closing Cases
If we approve a buyer's claim, the buyer is refunded for the full purchase price of the item and shipping costs. Decisions on claims are made in our sole discretion.
Reasons your claim could be denied under this policy include:
- The item received was the same as described by the merchant in your purchase
- The claim was filed due to buyer's remorse
- The item was received and the merchant verified the delivery of the product
- You disputed the transaction with the bank that issued your credit or debit card
- You didn't submit sufficient evidence requested by Facebook to support your claim
If you file fraudulent claims for purchases made on Facebook or Instagram, we may disable your ability to make payments or take additional action on your account.