How do I report a deceased person's account on Instagram?
If you see an account on Instagram that belongs to someone who's passed away, you can report it to us for memorialization. If you're an immediate family member of that person, you can request the account be removed from Instagram.
Memorializing the account:
We'll memorialize the Instagram account of a deceased person when we receive a valid request. We try to prevent references to memorialized accounts from appearing on Instagram in ways that may be upsetting to the person's friends and family, and we also take measures to protect the privacy of the deceased person by securing the account.
To report an account to be memorialized, please contact us. We require proof of death, such as a link to an obituary or news article, to memorialize an account.
Please keep in mind that we can't provide login information for a memorialized account. It's always against our policies for someone to log into another person's account.
Removing the account:
Verified immediate family members may request the removal of a loved one’s account from Instagram. When you submit a request for removal, we require proof that you're an immediate family member of the deceased person, such as:
- The deceased person's birth certificate
- The deceased person's death certificate
- Proof of authority under local law that you are the lawful representative of the deceased person, or his/her estate
To request that an account be removed, please fill out this form.
- What can I do if someone is impersonating me on Instagram?
- How do I report a child under the age of 13 on Instagram?
- Can I add or remove a post or comment from a memorialized account?
- How do I link my Instagram account to my Facebook profile?
- How do I stop using the beta version of Instagram for Android?