How do I report a deceased person's account on Instagram?
We’re sorry to hear about your loss, and we’re working to make sure your report gets reviewed. Please note that we have fewer people available to review reports because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, which means it may take us additional time to memorialize or delete the account you requested.
We apologize and want to send our condolences for your loss.
If you see an account on Instagram that belongs to someone who's passed away, you can request that we memorialize the account. If you're an immediate family member of the person, you can request that the account be removed from Instagram.
Memorializing the account:
We'll memorialize the Instagram account of a deceased person when we receive a valid request. We try to prevent references to memorialized accounts from appearing on Instagram in ways that may be upsetting to the person's friends and family, and we also take measures to protect the privacy of the deceased person by securing the account.
To report an account to be memorialized, please contact us. We require proof of death, such as a link to an obituary or news article, to memorialize an account.
Please keep in mind that we can't provide login information for a memorialized account. It's always against our policies for someone to log into another person's account.
Removing the account:
Verified immediate family members may request the removal of a loved one’s account from Instagram. When you submit a request for removal, we require proof that you're an immediate family member of the deceased person, such as:
- The deceased person's birth certificate.
- The deceased person's death certificate.
- Proof of authority under local law that you are the lawful representative of the deceased person, or his/her estate.
To request that an account be removed, please fill out this form.
- What happens when a deceased person's Instagram account is memorialized?
- What should I do if a deceased person's account is recommended to me on Instagram?
- My Instagram profile has been memorialized.
- How do I report copyright infringement on Instagram?
- How do I change how ads on Instagram are targeted to my child?