How do I restrict or unrestrict someone on Instagram?
If you restrict someone:
- They won’t be able to see when you’re online or if you’ve read their messages.
- Their new comments on your posts will only be visible to that person, and you can choose to see the comment by tapping See Comment. If you want others to be able to see their comment, you can tap Approve > Approve, or you can delete it or ignore it.
- You won’t receive any notifications for future comments from that person.
Note: You can also restrict multiple people from your comments.
There are multiple ways to restrict someone:
To restrict someone through Direct:
- Tap and tap the chat with the person you want to restrict.
- Tap in the top right of your chat.
- Tap Restrict > Restrict Account.
Keep in mind that:
- Your chat with the restricted person will move from your main Direct inbox to Message Requests, and future messages from people that you’ve restricted will automatically move to Message Requests.
- You’ll be able to see the person’s message without the person knowing that you’ve seen it. You can then choose to delete the message or block or unrestrict the person.
- If you’re in a group chat with someone that you’ve restricted, you’ll get a warning that you’ll see a restricted account’s messages. You can choose to stay or leave the group.
To restrict or unrestrict someone through a comment on your post:
- Go to your post and tap View all comments.
- Swipe left over the comment (iPhone) or tap and hold the comment (Android).
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) and then tap Restrict [username] or Unrestrict [username].
If a restricted person comments on your post, you can tap See Comment to reveal what the comment says, or you can tap Delete to delete the comment. If you tapped See Comment, you can tap Approve > Approve to make the comment visible to others, or you can tap Delete to delete the comment.
Keep in mind that you won’t receive notifications for any future comments made by someone that you’ve restricted.
To restrict or unrestrict someone through your settings:
- Go to your profile and tap .
- Tap Settings and then tap Privacy.
- Below Connections, tap Restricted Accounts.
- Tap Continue.
- Search for the account you’d like to restrict and tap Restrict next to their username, or tap Unrestrict to unrestrict someone.
To restrict or unrestrict someone through their profile:
- Go to the profile of the person you want to restrict or unrestrict.
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right.
- Select Restrict > Restrict Account or Unrestrict.
- How do I block or unblock someone from commenting on my Instagram photos and videos?
- How do I block or unblock someone on Instagram?
- What happens when I block someone on Instagram?
- Are my comments and likes still visible to people I block on Instagram?
- How do I report a comment on Instagram for abuse or spam?