How do I restrict or unrestrict someone on Instagram?
If you restrict someone:
- They won’t be able to see when you’re online or if you’ve read their messages.
- Their new comments on your posts will only be visible to that person, and you can choose to see the comment by tapping See Comment. If you want others to be able to see their comment, you can tap Approve, then tap Approve to confirm, or you can delete it or ignore it.
- You won’t receive any notifications for future comments from that person.
Note: You can also restrict multiple people from your comments.
There are multiple ways to restrict someone on the Instagram app for Android and iPhone:
- Tap or in the top right of Feed.
- Tap the chat with the person you want to restrict.
- Tap the person's name at the top of your chat.
- Tap Restrict at the bottom, then tap Restrict Account to confirm.
Keep in mind that:
- Your chat with the restricted person will move from your main Direct inbox to Message Requests, and future messages from people that you’ve restricted will automatically move to Message Requests.
- You’ll be able to see the person’s message without the person knowing that you’ve seen it. You can then choose to delete the message or block or unrestrict the person.
- If you’re in a group chat with someone that you’ve restricted, you’ll get a warning that you’ll see a restricted account’s messages. You can choose to stay or leave the group.
- Go to your post and tap View all comments.
- Swipe left over the comment (iPhone) or tap and hold the comment (Android).
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) and then tap Restrict [username] or Unrestrict [username].
If a restricted person comments on your post, you can tap See Comment to reveal what the comment says, or you can tap Delete to delete the comment. If you tapped See Comment, you can tap Approve, then tap Approve to make the comment visible to others, or you can tap Delete to delete the comment.
Keep in mind that you won’t receive notifications for any future comments made by someone that you’ve restricted.
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right.
- Tap Settings and then tap Privacy.
- Below Connections, tap Restricted Accounts.
- Tap Continue.
- Search for the account you’d like to restrict and tap Restrict next to their username, or tap Unrestrict to unrestrict someone.
- Tap their username from their Feed or story post, or tap and search their username to go to their profile.
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right.
- Select Restrict, then tap Restrict Account or Unrestrict.
To restrict someone on the Instagram Lite app for Android:
- Go to the profile of the person you want to restrict or unrestrict.
- Tap in the top right.
- Select Restrict, then tap Dismiss.