How do I create or join a Messenger Room on Instagram?
Messenger Rooms lets you create a video chat you can share with people by sending them a link. You must have a Facebook account linked to your Instagram account to create a Messenger Room.
Each Messenger Room can host up to 50 people. Anyone can join, even if they don’t have an Instagram or Facebook account. Learn more about Messenger Rooms on the Messenger Help Center.
To create a Messenger Room from the Instagram app
- Tap in the top right of Feed or swipe left from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Create a Room at the top. You may be asked to tap Create Room as [your Facebook name] at the bottom.
- Type the Instagram usernames of people you want to invite in the search bar or scroll down and tap Send or Invite next to their name. You can also tap Share at the top to send your room link to people outside of the Instagram app.
- Tap Join Room on Messenger (iPhone) and Join Room (Android).
- Once your in your room, you can tap Settings in the bottom right and then:
- Tap Share Room Link to share the room link outside of the Instagram app.
- Tap next to Lock Room to prevent anyone else from joining the room.
- Tap People, then tap Remove to remove someone from the room.
- Tap Give Feedback to Instagram and follow the on-screen instructions to report something.
- Tap End Room for Everyone to remove everyone from the room and disable the room link.
Note that you have to be in your room before others can join. When you join the room, you’ll be identified by your Facebook name and profile picture from your linked account, which will be seen by everyone in the room. Learn how to manage your Messenger Room.
To join a Messenger Room from the Instagram app
- Tap in the top right or swipe left from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap the message thread, then tap the link to the room.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to join the room in the Messenger app or your mobile browser.
Note that if you are signed into Messenger, you’ll be identified by your Messenger name, which will be seen by everyone in the room.
You don’t need to have an Instagram, Facebook or Messenger account to join a Messenger Room from a link you've been sent. If the creator hasn’t joined, you won’t be able to join their room.