I think someone I know may have a problem with opioid or substance misuse.
If you’re concerned that a friend or family member has a problem with opioid or substance misuse because of photos or other things they've posted on Instagram, there are things you can do to help.
How to get immediate help
If someone you know is in immediate physical danger, please contact 911 in the US or local emergency services outside the US for help.
What to do if the danger isn't immediate
- Call or encourage your friend to call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) National Helpline for free and confidential information and treatment referrals in English and Spanish:
- 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or 1-800-487-4889 (TDD), available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Tell your friend about SAMHSA’s Treatment Facility Locator, which provides a comprehensive listing of drug and alcohol treatment programs across the United States.
- Provide support to this person or contact a family member, friend, counselor or teacher, who may be able to provide support.
- For more information about how you can help support your friend, visit SAMHSA.
How to help if you are a parent or caregiver
If you're concerned about a family member's substance use, you can contact the Partnership for Drug Free Kids and connect with one of their specialists to help develop an action plan for you and your family by using one of the following methods (available in English and Spanish):
- Message them on Facebook, where they provide support over Messenger.
- Call 1-855-378-4373. Available live and by appointment Monday-Friday, 9am – 6pm ET; 12-5pm ET weekends and holidays.
- How do I help a member of the US military community (example: active soldier, veteran or family member) who has shared suicidal content on Instagram?
- I'm having thoughts about suicide or self-injury.
- I'm worried about someone after seeing content they've shared on Instagram about suicide or self-injury. What can I do?
- How do I help a law enforcement officer who has posted suicidal content?