What happens when I connect Instagram to my device's contact list?
When you connect your Instagram account to your device’s contact list, Instagram will recommend accounts to follow based on your contacts. You’ll receive these recommendations from Instagram as notifications on your phone or in your feed.
When your contact list is connected, it's periodically synced and securely stored on our servers, but you can delete your synced contacts at any time.
To delete your synced contacts:
- Log into Instagram.com from your computer.
- Click your profile picture in the top right corner, then click Profile.
- Click Edit Profile, then click Manage Contacts on the left.
- Click Delete All, then click Delete to confirm.
Keep in mind that your contacts will be re-uploaded the next time Instagram syncs your contacts unless you go to your device settings and turn off access to contacts. Learn more about how to disconnect contacts synching at any time.
If you’d like to stop receiving notifications from Instagram about recommended accounts, you can turn these notifications off.
To turn notifications about friends to follow on Instagram on or off:
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications, then tap Following and Followers.
- Tap next to Off or On under Friends on Instagram to adjust your notification setting.