I Can't Log in
I Forgot My Password
If you can't remember your password, you can reset it using your email address, phone number or Facebook account. If you're not able to reset your password this way, open the Instagram app for additional help.
Resetting your password using your email address, phone number or Facebook account
To reset your password, first open the Instagram app. On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In. From there:
- On Android: select Use Username or Email, Send an SMS or Log In with Facebook, then enter your information and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On iOS, tap Username or Phone. Enter your email address, username or phone number, then tap Send Login Link.
Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
If you're not receiving the password reset email, it's possible that the email is going in your email's spam filter or that you mistyped your email when you first signed up for Instagram.
To find your password reset email, try:
- Checking the spam filter on your email account
- Resetting your password through Facebook verification if you've previously linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts
- Getting in touch with your email service provider to make sure that you're able to get emails from the @instagram.com domain
If you mistyped your email address when signing up for your account, we're not able to give you access to this account.
If your email address isn't being found when you try to reset your password, you may have registered with a different email or mistyped your email when you first signed up.
If you're having this issue, try the following:
- Tap Get help signing in on the login screen, then tap Use Username or Email. Enter any possible email addresses you may have registered with and then tap Next in the top right.
- If you've previously linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts, you can reset your password using your Facebook account by tapping Reset using Facebook.
Unfortunately, if you can't access the email account you registered with and didn't link your Instagram and Facebook accounts, we're unable to give you access to the account.
If you're receiving a password reset email for the wrong account, it's likely that the account you're trying to log into was registered with a different email address.
If you think there's an Instagram account associated with your email address and you don't own that account, let us know.
The links in the password reset emails are time sensitive. If you've received an email but still aren't able to log in, try sending yourself a password reset email again.
If you're copying the reset link or your new password, make sure you aren't including any extra spaces before pasting it into your browser or the login fields.
Email and Username Troubleshooting
If you aren't able to locate your account after entering your username:
- Make sure that you're entering your username correctly, especially if it contains repeated characters
- Don't include the @ symbol when entering your username
If you think your username was changed as a result of your account being compromised:
- Check if you've received an email from Instagram notifying you that your account information was changed
- Ask a friend to visit your profile and take a screenshot of your current username
Learn more about what you can do if you think your account was hacked.
If you lost access to the email address you used to sign up for Instagram, you can change the email address associated with your account.
If you've linked your account to Facebook, you can reset your password using Facebook. Once you log in, you can change the email address listed in your profile.
If you can't log into Instagram because you forgot your password and can't access the email address you used to sign up, please get in touch with your email service provider to get access to that email:
Email Service Provider contacts
If you've forgotten your password and lost access to your email account, we're unable to release the Instagram account to you. This includes accounts registered with mistyped email addresses.
We understand this can be frustrating, but this policy is meant to make sure Instagram accounts don't fall into the wrong hands.
Most likely, someone tried to sign up for an Instagram account using your email address by mistake. To remove your email from the account:
- If you have an Instagram account, log out. Before logging out, make sure the you have access to the email address currently associated with your account. Learn how to update your email address. If you don't have an Instagram account, skip to step 2.
- Click let us know at the bottom of the Welcome to Instagram email to let us know this wasn't you.
You should then be able to use this email address to sign up for an Instagram account or add it to your existing account.
If you're still having issues with your email or phone number, let us know.
If you're unable to log into your Instagram account
If you can't access your account, you may be able to get additional help through the Instagram app:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In
For more options:
- Tap Use Username or Email, then enter your username or email. Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
- Tap in the top right.
- Tap Need more help? then follow the on-screen instructions. Note: If you think your username or email was changed as a result of your account being hacked, you can try these steps again using both your username and email.
- Enter your username or email. Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
- Tap Need more help? below Send Login Link, then follow the on-screen instructions. Note: If you think your username or email was changed as a result of your account being hacked, you can try these steps again using both your username and email.
If you're still able to log into your Instagram account
If you think your account has been hacked and you're still able to log in, here are some things you can do to help keep your account secure:
- Revoke access to any suspicious third-party apps
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional security
If you think your account was disabled by mistake, you may be able to appeal the decision by opening the app, entering your username and password and following the on-screen instructions.
If you don’t see a disabled message, you may be experiencing a login issue. If your account was deleted by you or someone with your password, there's no way to restore it. You can create a new account with the same email address you used before, but you may not be able to get the same username.