Abuse & Spam
If you see a post or profile that's not following our Community Guidelines (ex: nudity, spam, self-harm), you can report it.
To report a post:
- Tap (iOS and Windows Phone) or(Android) below the post
- Tap Report Inappropriate
- Follow the on-screen instructions
To report a profile:
- Tap (iOS), (Windows Phone) or(Android) in the top right of the profile
- Tap Report Inappropriate (iOS and Android) or Report for Spam (Windows Phone)
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Learn how to report a comment.
When you report something, your information isn't shared with the person whose post or profile you're reporting. Keep in mind that the number of times something is reported doesn't affect whether it's removed from Instagram.
If you don't have an Instagram account, you can report someone using this form. If you're trying to report a post or profile you can't see, ask a friend who can see the content to report it.
If you see comments that aren't following our Community Guidelines, you can report them. To report a comment:
- Tap below the photo
- Swipe your finger to the left over the comment you'd like to report
- Tap Report Abuse
- Select an option for why the comment is abusive
- Tap below the photo
- Tap the comment you want to report
- Tap and choose Delete Comment and Report Abuse
When you report an inappropriate comment, your report is anonymous and your information isn't shared with the person whose posted the comment.
If someone leaves an inappropriate comment on your photo/video, you can delete it.
You can report abusive messages that are sent to you with Instagram Direct by tapping and holding the message, then selecting Report.
If you're using Instagram on the web (ex: on a computer or web browser) and you see something that isn't following our Community Guidelines, you can either report the account of the person who posted it or report the post.
- To report someone's account, go to their profile and click next to their username. Select Report User. Then click the type of account you want to report and follow the on-screen instructions.
- To report a post, click below the post. Then click Report inappropriate and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind that you can also report abuse while using the Instagram app.
We worked with ConnectSafely.org on the following answer. For more information and advice please visit www.connectsafely.org/safety-tips/tips-to-prevent-sexting.
Sharing nude or sexual photos/videos is a violation of Instagram’s Community Guidelines, so the simplest answer you can give someone is, “No. It’s not allowed on Instagram.” But beyond Instagram, it’s important to think about how it would impact you if nude or sexual photos/videos of yourself got out of your control. This can happen the instant someone shares a photo or video. Sometimes people make mistakes, play stupid jokes, or act in anger and share things they shouldn’t.
If you’re under the age of 18, it’s especially important for you to know that sharing nude or sexually explicit images of minors—on the web, on mobile phones, by mail or any other way—is illegal in most countries and could have serious legal and life-changing consequences for both the creator of the images and anyone who requests them.
The safest thing you can do is never share nude photos/videos—or anything else you wouldn’t want other people seeing—to anyone, even if you feel very close to the person asking for them. If someone you care about asks you to share a nude photo/video or leave Instagram for a private web chat and you don’t want to, tell the person that it makes you feel uncomfortable. If this person really cares about you, he or she will understand. If anyone tries to threaten or intimidate you into sharing photos/video, just refuse. If it continues, tell someone you trust or contact the police.
Also remember that Instagram is a place to share your life with your followers through photos and video. When you allow someone to follow you, they may see personal information you've shared on Instagram (like your personal website URL or who follows you). The best way to stay safe is to only accept followers that you know well outside of Instagram.
We worked with ConnectSafely.org on the following answer. To learn more, please visit www.connectsafely.org/safety-tips/tips-to-prevent-sexting.
If someone is threatening to share things you intended to be private and asking you to send them money or anything else, you have options:
- Contact local law enforcement and report this to them.
- Block this person. Depending on your privacy settings, people on Instagram can see a list of your followers and who you follow. Once you block someone, they no longer have access to your profile.
The safest thing you can do is never share something you wouldn’t want other people seeing, even if you feel like you trust the person asking you to share.
If you're under 18
If you're under 18, we recommend talking with a parent or other adult you trust to help you think through what to do. We offer some tips for parents on safety and security on Instagram. Here are other resources for you to consider:
- Contact a crisis hotline or chat service. These can be found all over the US and in many other countries. This is a good option if you want to remain anonymous while deciding what to do. Crisis lines can also often refer you to a victim advocate or other legal adviser near you. In the US, you can search for one by zip code at http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/CrisisCenters/Locator.aspx or visit www.crisischat.org/.
- Talk with a victim advocate or social worker in your town or city. In the US, there are victim advocates in county offices, police stations, domestic violence prevention centers, rape crisis centers, sheriff's offices and offices of state attorneys general. Victim advocates can help you gather evidence, figure out how to keep you safe and get a civil protection or anti-stalking order against the person threatening you. If you're in the US, call the National Organization for Victim Assistance at 1-800-TRY-NOVA/800-879-6682 or go to www.trynova.org/.
- Contact a legal aid society or organization near you for free advice.
- Ask a lawyer or other counselor for advice.
- Talk to a school counselor or administrator.
Instagram is a place for sharing your life with your followers through photos and videos. We don't support using Instagram for buying and selling goods or services, and we encourage people to avoid this behavior in our Community Guidelines.
If someone on Instagram offers to sell you something, we recommend that you ignore it. Unfortunately, we can't provide help if you purchase something from a fraudulent person on Instagram. You can report abuse or spam (ex: discount codes, links to buy goods) to us when you see it.
If you don't have an Instagram account or are trying to report something other than the types of content listed above, you can send us a report.