When I share a photo on Instagram, what's the image resolution?
When you share a photo on Instagram, regardless of whether you're using Instagram for iOS or Android, we make sure to upload it at the best quality resolution possible (up to a width of 1080 pixels).
When you share a photo that has a width between 320 and 1080 pixels, we keep that photo at its original resolution as long as the photo's aspect ratio is between 1.91:1 and 4:5 (a height between 566 and 1350 pixels with a width of 1080 pixels). If the aspect ratio of your photo isn't supported, it will be cropped to fit a supported ratio. If you share a photo at a lower resolution, we enlarge it to a width of 320 pixels. If you share a photo at a higher resolution, we size it down to a width of 1080 pixels.
If you want to make sure that your photo is shared with a width of 1080 pixels:
- Download the most recent version of the Instagram app.
- Upload a photo with a width of at least 1080 pixels with an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- Make sure you're using a phone with a high-quality camera as different phones have cameras of varying qualities.
- How do I share from Instagram to other social networks?
- Can I change the name of the Facebook album I upload Instagram posts to?
- Can I see how many times a video has been viewed on Instagram?
- Where will my video appear on Instagram?
- Why can’t I see how many people liked a post or viewed a video on Instagram?