How Instagram Feed Works
Instagram's technology uses different ways, or signals, to determine the order of posts in your feed. These signals are used to help determine how your feed is ordered, and may include:
- Likelihood you’ll be interested in the content
- Date the post was shared
- Previous interactions with the person posting
Just double tap a photo or video to like it or tap below the post. If you’ve accidentally liked a post, tap again to unlike it.
When you unlike a post, the story that you liked the photo or video will disappear from Activity. If the person who shared the post has push notifications turned on, they'll still get the notification that you liked the photo or video.
To save a post, tap below it. When you save a post, it's visible to you from a private section of your profile.
To save a post to a collection, tap and hold . Then, select a collection you've already created or tap to create a new one.
To see posts you've saved and the collections you've created, go to your profile, tap and then tap Saved. Only you can see the posts you've saved. When you save someone's post, they're not able to tell that you've saved it.
When you turn on post notifications for someone you follow, you'll get a notification every time that they post a photo or video. To turn post notifications on or off:
- Go to their profile
- In the top right, tap (iPhone) or (Android).
- Tap Turn on Post Notifications or Turn off Post Notifications.
If you'd like to turn post notifications on or off for multiple people, you'll have to visit each profile and turn them on or off individually. Keep in mind that you may get a push notification when someone you follow posts something for the first time in a while, whether or not you have notifications turned on for that person.
People aren't notified when you turn post notifications on or off for them.
Learn more about managing your notification settings.
Reply to someone in a comment thread by mentioning them in your comment. They'll get a notification in their activity feed to view the comment.
To reply to someone on iOS:
- Go to the photo or post
- Tap any comment
- Tap Reply and add your comment
You can also press and hold any username in the comment thread to automatically start a comment mentioning that username.
If you’ve accidentally double tapped or tapped below a post, you can remove the like by tapping again.
Things to keep in mind:
- Very soon after you remove a like, the like alert will disappear from other people's Activity.
- If you've accidentally liked a photo and then unliked it, the person who posted it will still get a push notification if they have notifications turned on.
- If you like, unlike and then re-like a photo, the person who posted will only receive one Activity alert for the latest like and one push notification for the initial like if they have push notifications turned on.
We want to show you ads from businesses that are interesting and relevant to you, and to do that, we use information about what you do on Instagram and Facebook (our parent company) and on third-party sites and apps you use. For example, you might see ads based on the people you follow and things you like on Instagram, your information and interests on Facebook (if you have a Facebook account) and the websites and apps you visit. Learn about what you can do if you see an ad you don’t like.