Other Types of Reports
Reporting a Deceased Person's Account
If you see an account on Instagram that belongs to someone who's passed away, you can report it to us for memorialization. If you're an immediate family member of that person, you can request the account be removed from Instagram.
Memorializing the account:
We'll memorialize the Instagram account of a deceased person when we receive a valid request. We try to prevent references to memorialized accounts from appearing on Instagram in ways that may be upsetting to the person's friends and family, and we also take measures to protect the privacy of the deceased person by securing the account.
To report an account to be memorialized, please contact us. We require proof of death, such as a link to an obituary or news article, to memorialize an account.
Please keep in mind that we can't provide login information for a memorialized account. It's always against our policies for someone to log into another person's account.
Removing the account:
Verified immediate family members may request the removal of a loved one’s account from Instagram. When you submit a request for removal, we require proof that you're an immediate family member of the deceased person, such as:
- The deceased person's birth certificate
- The deceased person's death certificate
- Proof of authority under local law that you are the lawful representative of the deceased person, or his/her estate
To request that an account be removed, please fill out this form.
Here are some of the key features of memorialized accounts:
- Instagram doesn’t allow anyone to log into a memorialized account.
- The profile of a memorialized account doesn't appear differently from an account that hasn't been memorialized.
- Memorialized accounts can’t be changed in any way. This includes changes to likes, followers, tags, posts and comments.
- Posts the deceased person shared, including photos and videos, stay on Instagram and are visible to the audience they were shared with.
- Memorialized accounts don't appear in public spaces, like people's Explore section.
Learn how to request the memorialization of a deceased person's account.
If someone is trying to blackmail you (threatening to share private information about you if you don't send them money or something else you're uncomfortable with), please report it. You should also contact your local law enforcement.
What can I do if someone is blackmailing me for intimate images, videos or messages?
Your private content is your own. Instagram wants you to know that it's wrong and against our rules for someone to share, or threaten to share, your intimate images, videos or messages without your consent.
If this is happening, it isn't your fault, and you can take steps to protect yourself.
Report to Instagram:
Report it by filling out this form. The person you're communicating with won't be notified. Instagram may be able to take action to help.
You're Not Alone:
People who experience these kinds of situations can sometimes feel scared or desperate or can experience depression. If you're struggling and thinking about hurting yourself, get support. Please don't wait.
Message or call a friend or adult you trust, such as a relative, teacher, school counselor or family friend. They can help you protect yourself.
Learn How to Get Support:
Reach out for help or learn more about what to do from experts in your region:
Find more support for general issues with non-consensual intimate images in your region.
Convicted Sex Offenders
Convicted sex offenders aren't allowed to use Instagram. If you've encountered an account that may belong to a convicted sex offender, please report it to us.
Please provide one of the following with your report:
- A link to a listing in a national sex offender registry
- A link to an online news article
- A link to a court document
If you aren't able to include this with your report, we recommend that you ask a local law enforcement representative to contact us so we can take action on your report.
Once we're able to verify someone's status as a sex offender, we'll immediately disable their account.