I think my Instagram account has been hacked.
If you think your account has been hacked or taken over, there are actions you can take to secure your account.
Check your email account for a message from Instagram
If you received an email from Instagram letting you know that your email address was changed, you may be able to undo this by using the revert this change option in that message. If additional information was also changed (example: your password), and you're unable to change back your email address, please report the account to us.
Get a login link sent to your email address or phone number
To help us confirm that you own the account, you can request that we send a login link to your email address or phone number.
To request a login link:
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in (Android) or Forgot password? (iPhone).
- Next, choose either your email address or phone number to have the login link sent to and then tap Next.
- Once you receive the login link, follow the on-screen instructions.
Report the account
If you're unable to recover your account with the security code, please report the account to us.
To report a hacked account on Instagram:
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In.
- Enter your username, email, or phone number, then tap Next. Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
- Tap Need more help? then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Be sure to enter a secure email address that only you can access. Once you've submitted your request, be on the lookout for an email from Instagram with next steps.
- On the login screen, tap Forgot password?.
- Tap Need more help? below the Next button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind that your report is anonymous, except if you’re reporting an intellectual property infringement. The account you reported won’t see who reported them.
Verify your identity
Once you submit your request, you should receive an auto-response email from the Security Team at Instagram asking you to help us verify your identity. You'll be asked for one or both of the following:
- A photo of yourself holding a paper with a handwritten code we've provided you.
- The email address or phone number you signed up with and the type of device you used at the time of sign up (example: iPhone, Android, iPad, other).
If you're still able to log into your Instagram account
If you think your account has been hacked and you're still able to log in, here are some things you can do to help keep your account secure:
- Revoke access to any suspicious third-party apps.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional security.
- How do I use text messages (SMS) for two-factor authentication on Instagram?
- How do I turn on two-factor authentication on Instagram for multiple devices?
- How do I use an authentication app for two-factor authentication on Instagram?
- How do I review recent emails sent from Instagram?
- How do I remove an app I’ve added on Instagram?