Ads on Instagram
Learn More About Ads
We want to show you ads from businesses that are interesting and relevant to you, and to do that, we use information about what you do on Instagram and Facebook (our parent company) and on third-party sites and apps you use. For example, you might see ads based on the people you follow and things you like on Instagram, your information and interests on Facebook (if you have a Facebook account), and the websites and apps you visit.
Learn more about:
Hide an ad
You can hide an ad you don't like by tapping (iOS) or (Android) in the top right of the sponsored post, and then choosing Hide Ad. You can also select why you don't want to see this ad (optional).
Report an ad
You can report an ad that is inappropriate or misleading by tapping (iOS) or (Android) in the top right of the sponsored post, and then choosing Report Ad. Similar to our Community Guidelines, we have Ad Policies that outline what ads are and aren't allowed on Instagram.
Adjust your device settings
To make the ads you see relevant and useful, we use information about your activity on sites and apps that are not Facebook Company Products to learn about your interests. You can opt out of seeing ads based on this information in your device settings. This setting controls the Instagram ads you'll see on the device you're using. Turning off this setting doesn't delete any data. You'll still see the same number of ads, but they'll be based on things you do on Facebook Company Products, or they may be from a specific business that you've shared your contact information with, if we've matched your profile to their customer list or if you’ve shared data with them offline.
Adjust your ad preferences on Facebook
Go to your ad preferences on Facebook to control how we use information from partners to show you ads across Instagram and other Facebook Company Products. If we can determine you've made a choice on other Facebook Company accounts that you use, we'll apply your ads preferences to them as well. To make sure your ad preferences are applied, connect your Instagram account to your Facebook account. Learn more about how advertising works on Facebook.
Information for Advertisers
You can create ads from Instagram once you've converted your profile to a professional account. In addition to creating ads on Instagram, you can also use Facebook tools to create ads that appear on Instagram.
There are 3 ways to run ads on Instagram:
- Create ads directly from Instagram. Once you convert your profile to a professional account, you can promote posts and stories from your Instagram account.
- Create ads from your Facebook Page. If you manage a Facebook Page, you can link an Instagram account to that Page. When you create ads from your Page, they can appear on Facebook and Instagram.
- Create ad campaigns in Ads Manager. Ads Manager provides comprehensive tools to create ads on Facebook and Instagram.
Each of these tools can be used to create ads on Instagram. Before creating ads, you must convert your profile to a professional account. In some regions, you’ll also need to connect your Instagram account to a Facebook Page you manage to run ads directly from Instagram.
To create ads from your Facebook Page or in Ads Manager, you must connect your Instagram account to a Facebook Page you manage.
You can also grow your audience by making Instagram part of your day-to-day business and marketing. For example:
- Post a sign at your retail locations with your Instagram account, or share it in communications like emails and postcards
- Mention your account in the press
- Announce your Instagram account on other platforms like Facebook or Twitter with a link to your account, or provide a link on the homepage of your website