How do I use video chat on Instagram?
You can video chat with up to 8 people using messaging on Instagram.
Begin a video chat
To begin a video chat on Instagram:
- Tap or in the top right of Feed.
- Tap in the top right. Select people from the list below or tap Search... to search for someone, then tap Start. The person or group you call will receive a notification that you're calling them.
- To end your video chat, tap in the top right.
To switch between the front or back-facing camera, tap at the top or tap your video twice. Learn how to watch content with someone in a video chat.
Add someone to an ongoing video chat
To add someone to an ongoing video chat:
- While in your video chat, tap Add to add someone.
- Tap Add next to their username in the list below, or tap Search to search for someone. The person you've added will receive a notification that you're calling them.
Once you've added a new person, a new group thread will be started. Any additional people will be added to this new thread, and only 8 people can be in the video chat at once.
If you're using an Android device, you can take a photo of your video chat and then share it with friends or to your story.
To share a photo of your video chat with friends or to your story:
- Once you're in a video chat, tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo. This will automatically save the photo to your camera roll.
- Tap the photo.
- Tap , , or to add a camera effect, sticker, draw or add text to your photo. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Your Story in the bottom left to share to your story or tap Send To to send privately to friends in Direct.
Note: Your friends will see a notification on the screen that says you've taken a photo of the video chat.
To use a filter or effect in your video chat:
- Once you're in a video chat, tap at the bottom of the screen.
- Swipe left at the bottom of the screen and select an effect. To see effects from independent creators, swipe all the way to the left and tap .
To keep using Instagram during your video chat:
- Once you're in a video chat, tap in the top left. This will make your video chat appear in a small frame on your device.
- Continue to use Instagram like you usually would. Tap and hold the video chat to move it anywhere on the screen.
Note that if you leave the Instagram app during your video chat, you’ll still be able to continue your video chat. This will make your video chat appear in a small frame (Android) or turn off your camera (iPhone).
- How do I send a disappearing photo or video on Instagram?
- How do I send a message to someone on Instagram?
- How do I create a new group conversation in Instagram Direct?
- How do I send a location page as a message using Instagram Direct?
- How do I report a message that was sent to me or stop someone from sending me messages on Instagram?