How do I use video chat on Instagram?
You can video chat with up to 6 people using Direct Messaging.
Begin a video chat
To begin a video chat on Instagram:
- Tap in the top right of Feed.
- Tap in the top right. Select people from the list below or tap Search... to search for someone, then tap Start. The person or group you call will receive a notification that you're calling them.
Add someone to an ongoing video chat
To add someone to an ongoing video chat:
- While in your video chat, tap Add to add someone.
- Tap Add next to their username in the list below, or tap Search to search for someone. The person you've added will receive a notification that you're calling them.
Once you've added a new person, a new Direct group thread will be started. Any additional people will be added to this new thread, and only 6 people can be in the video chat at once.
If you're using an iOS device, you can take a photo of your video chat and then share it with friends or to your story.
To share a photo of your video chat with friends or to your story:
- Once you're in a video chat, tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo. This will automatically save the photo to your camera roll.
- Tap the photo.
- Tap , , or to add a camera effect, sticker, draw or add text to your photo. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Your Story in the bottom left to share to your story or tap Send To to send privately to friends in Direct.
Note: Your friends will see a notification on the screen that says you've taken a photo of the video chat.