How do I send a disappearing photo or video on Instagram?
You can send a disappearing photo or video either as a group or individual message. After someone opens a disappearing photo or video you've sent them, the message is no longer visible in their inbox unless you've allowed a replay of your message.
To send a disappearing photo or video:
- Tap or in the top right of Feed.You can also go to your inbox to reply to a disappearing photo or video you've received.
- You can:
- Tap next to the group or username of the person that you want to send a disappearing photo or video to.
- Tap Search, tap the username of the person you're searching for, then tap .
- Tap to send a new group message, then select people you want to send to and tap Chat. Tap . Keep in mind that when you send a group message, it starts a single group thread that anyone in the group can see and reply to.
- Tap the circle at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or video, then choose to add effects.
- You can:
- Select View Once to let the person or group receiving your photo or video only view it once.
- Select Allow Replay to loop your photo or video and to let the recipient open and replay your photo or video one more time before it disappears.
- Select Keep in Chat to keep a preview image of the photo or video visible in the chat thread.
- Tap Send at the bottom of the screen.
Keep in mind that you can only send disappearing photos or videos to people who follow you or have already approved messages from you.
Note: When you send other things using Instagram Direct (example: posts from Feed, text, hashtags), those messages don't disappear and will remain visible in the conversation.