How are ads about social issues, elections or politics identified on Instagram?
To increase transparency around the ads we show you about social issues, elections or politics, we have measures to help ensure the authenticity of these types of ads on Instagram. A social issue, electoral or political ad in feed or stories can be identified on Instagram by the Paid for by disclaimer.
We consider ads to be about social issues, elections or politics if:
- They’re made by (or on behalf of), or about a candidate running for public office, a political figure, a political party or advocates for the outcome of an election to public office.
- They’re about any election, referendum, or ballot initiative, including "go out and vote" or election campaigns.
- They’re about social issues in the location where the ad is placed. Learn more about what we consider to be ads about social issues.
- They’re regulated as political advertising.
Learn more about what's considered an ad about social issues, elections or politics in our Business Help Center.
Please note, if you're an advertiser looking to run ads about social issues, elections or politics, you'll need to authorize your account and let us know the topic of the ads.
Reporting an ad about social issues, elections or politics
If you see an ad about social issues, elections or politics on Instagram that doesn't have a disclaimer showing information about the organization or individual responsible for the ad, you can report it.
To report an ad:
- Tap (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right of the sponsored post.
- Tap Report Ad, then tap It refers to a political candidate or issue.
Learn more about how to see fewer ads about social issues, elections or politics. Please note, the social issues, elections or politics topic preference is not available in every country.
Ads about social issues, elections or politics that have appeared on Instagram on or after May 22, 2018, will also appear in the Ad Library.
Learn more about the Ad Library.
- How do I choose to see fewer ads about social issues, elections or politics on Instagram?
- Where can I see the ads I've interacted with on Instagram?
- What are my ad topic preferences and how can I adjust them on Instagram?
- How can I adjust how ads on Instagram are shown to me based on data about my activity from partners?
- What can I do if I see an ad I don't like on Instagram?