Edit Your Profile
To update your profile information, including your username and email address associated with your account:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Edit Profile.
- Type in your information and tap Done (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right.
To add or change your profile picture:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap Edit Profile > Change Profile Photo (iOS) / Change Photo (Android).
- Select where you'd like to import your picture from.
- Tap Done (iOS) or Next (Android).
You can take a new photo or add a photo from your phone's photo library or Facebook. If you choose to import from Facebook, Instagram will use the same picture you're already using for your Facebook profile.
By default, anyone can view your profile and posts on Instagram. You can make your posts private so that only followers you approve can see them. If your posts are set to private, only your approved followers will see them on hashtag or location pages.
To set your posts to private from the Instagram app:
- Tap to go to your profile, then tap .
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account Privacy then tap to toggle Private Account on.
Things to keep in mind about private posts:
- Private posts you share to social networks may be visible to the public depending on your privacy settings for those networks. For example, a post you share to Twitter that was set to private on Instagram may be visible to the people who can see your Twitter posts.
- Once you make your posts private, people will have to send you a follow request to see your posts, your followers list or your following list.
- Follow requests appear in Activity, where you can approve or ignore them.
- If someone was already following before you set your posts to private and you don't want them to see your posts, you can block them.
- People can send a photo or video directly to you even if they’re not following you.
If you're logged out of your account and can't remember your password, you can request to reset it from the login screen.
If you're able to log into your account and know your current password, you can change it from your Settings:
- Go to your profile by tapping .
- Tap in the top right.
- Tap Settings > Password.
- Enter your current password and then enter your new password.
- Tap Save or in the top right.
Tip: To create a strong password, use a combination of at least six numbers, letters and punctuation marks (like ! and %).