Can I still violate another person's copyright on Instagram if I didn't intend to infringe?
It's possible to infringe someone else's copyright, even if you don't intend to do so. In most cases, you shouldn’t use someone else’s copyrighted work if you don’t have permission.
Keep in mind that your use of someone else’s content may infringe their copyright, even if you:
- Gave credit to the copyright owner
- Included a disclaimer that you don’t intend to infringe copyright
- Think that the use is a fair use
- Didn’t intend to profit from it
- Legally bought or downloaded the content (example: a copy of a DVD or a song from the Internet)
- Modified the work or added your own original material to it
- Found the content available on the internet
- Recorded the content onto your own recording device (example: from a movie, concert or sporting event)
- Saw that others have posted the same content as well
Learn more about copyright and what copyright laws protect.