I Can't Log in
I Forgot My Password
If you can't remember your password, you can reset it using your email address, phone number or Facebook account. If you're not able to reset your password this way, open the Instagram app for additional help.
Resetting your password using your email address, phone number or Facebook account
To reset your password, first open the Instagram app. From there:
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In.
- Select Use Username or Email, Send an SMS or Log In with Facebook.
- Enter your information and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the login screen, tap Forgot Password above Log In.
- Tap Username or Phone.
- Enter your email address, username or phone number, then tap Next.
Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
If you're not receiving the password reset email, it's possible the email is going in your email's spam filter. It may also be possible that you mistyped your email when you first signed up for Instagram.
To find your password reset email, try:
- Checking the spam filter on your email account.
- Resetting your password through Facebook verification if you've previously linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts.
- Getting in touch with your email service provider to make sure you're able to get emails from the @instagram.com domain.
If you mistyped your email address when signing up for your account, we're not able to give you access to this account.
If your email address can't be found when trying to reset your password, you may have registered with a different email or mistyped your email when you first signed up.
If you're having this issue, try the following:
- On Android, tap Get help signing in on the login screen. Enter your Instagram username, email or phone number, then tap Next.
- On iPhone, tap Forgot password on the login screen. Enter your Instagram username or phone number, then tap Send Login Link.
- If you've previously linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts, you can reset your password using your Facebook account by tapping Reset using Facebook.
Unfortunately, if you can't access the email account you registered with and didn't link your Instagram and Facebook accounts, we're unable to give you access to the account.
If you're receiving a password reset email for the wrong account, it's likely that the account you're trying to log into was registered with a different email address.
To regain access to the right account, try any additional email addresses you may have used. If you've previously linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts, you can reset your password using your Facebook account by tapping Reset using Facebook.
If you think there's an Instagram account associated with your email address and you don't own that account, let us know.
If you can't remember your password, you can request a password reset email to regain access to your Instagram account. The email will offer you the choice to either log in immediately from your email address, or first change the password before logging in.
If the password reset email isn't working:
- Try requesting a new password reset email, in case the previous one expired.
- Make sure you choose to reset your password instead of choosing to log in by selecting reset your Instagram password in the email.
- If you're trying to change your password because you think your Instagram account has been hacked, learn more about getting help with logging in.
Learn more about what you can do if you're not receiving your Instagram password reset email.
Email and Username Troubleshooting
If you aren't able to locate your account after entering your username:
- Make sure that you're entering your username correctly, especially if it contains repeated characters.
- Don't include the @ symbol when entering your username.
If you think your username was changed as a result of your account being compromised:
- Check if you've received an email from Instagram notifying you that your account information was changed.
- Ask a friend to visit your profile and take a screenshot of your current username.
Learn more about what you can do if you think your account was hacked.
If you've lost access to the email or phone number you used to sign up for Instagram, you can either try to regain access to the email or phone number or you can update your profile with new account information.
Try to regain access to your email account
If you've lost access to your email account, you can try to ask your email provider to help you regain access to it. Many email providers offer a way to recover access to your account if you ever forget your password or if the account is hacked.
When you try to log in to your email provider, there may be an option like forget your password? or trouble signing in? that will allow you to contact them or complete a request for additional support. You may need to provide them with a phone number, answers to security questions, or other information to verify your access request. Instagram can't provide any assistance with helping you get back into your email account.
Change your Instagram account email or phone number
If you can't regain access to the email or phone number you used to sign up for Instagram, you'll need to log into Instagram and change the email or phone number on your profile with a new email account that you can access. This is necessary to ensure you can continue to access Instagram and to ensure someone else can't gain access to your Instagram account with an email or phone number you no longer use.
Note: Before you begin, make sure you can already access Instagram either with your email, phone number or by logging in with Facebook. If you can't access Instagram and reach your Instagram profile settings, you won't be able to continue.
Once you're logged into Instagram, you can learn how to change your email from your Instagram profile. If you signed up for Instagram with your Facebook account, your email will be the same as the one associated with your Facebook account. If you didn't sign up for Facebook or Instagram with a phone number, then there will not be an email associated with your account, but you can add one if you want.
After you've changed your Instagram email, both the original email and new email will receive requests to confirm or deny the change.
I can't access Instagram in order to change my email or phone number
If you can't access your Instagram account or the email or phone number you signed up with:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device and enter your last known email address or phone number.
- Tap Forgot password?.
- Tap Need more help?.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to submit a support request.
Learn more about what you can do if you need help logging into Instagram.
Most likely, someone tried to sign up for an Instagram account using your email address by mistake. To remove your email from the account, click let us know at the bottom of the Welcome to Instagram email to let us know this wasn't you.
You should then be able to use this email address to sign up for an Instagram account or add it to your existing account.
If you think your account has been hacked or taken over, there are actions you can take to secure your account.
Check your email account for a message from Instagram
If you received an email from Instagram letting you know that your email address was changed, you may be able to undo this by using the revert this change option in that message. If additional information was also changed (example: your password), and you're unable to change back your email address, please report the account to us.
Get a login link sent to your email address or phone number
To help us confirm that you own the account, you can request that we send a login link to your email address or phone number.
To request a login link:
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in (Android) or Forgot password? (iPhone).
- Next, choose either your email address or phone number to have the login link sent to and then tap Next.
- Once you receive the login link, follow the on-screen instructions.
Report the account
If you're unable to recover your account with the security code, please report the account to us.
To report a hacked account on Instagram:
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In.
- Enter your username, email, or phone number, then tap Next. Learn more about what you can do if you don't know your username.
- Tap Need more help? then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Be sure to enter a secure email address that only you can access. Once you've submitted your request, be on the lookout for an email from Instagram with next steps.
- On the login screen, tap Forgot password?.
- Tap Need more help? below the Next button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind that your report is anonymous, except if you’re reporting an intellectual property infringement. The account you reported won’t see who reported them.
Verify your identity
Once you submit your request, you should receive an auto-response email from the Security Team at Instagram asking you to help us verify your identity. You'll be asked for one or both of the following:
- A photo of yourself holding a paper with a handwritten code we've provided you.
- The email address or phone number you signed up with and the type of device you used at the time of sign up (example: iPhone, Android, iPad, other).
If you're still able to log into your Instagram account
If you think your account has been hacked and you're still able to log in, here are some things you can do to help keep your account secure:
- Revoke access to any suspicious third-party apps.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional security.
If you think your account was disabled by mistake, you may be able to appeal the decision by opening the app, entering your username and password and following the on-screen instructions.
If you don’t see a disabled message, you may be experiencing a login issue. If your account was deleted by you or someone with your password, there's no way to restore it. You can create a new account with the same email address you used before, but you may not be able to get the same username.