Reporting Copyright Infringements
Submitting a claim of copyright infringement is a serious matter with legal consequences. Before you report a claim of copyright infringement to us, you may wish to reach out to the individual posting the content. You may be able to resolve the issue simply by bringing it to their attention without contacting Instagram at all.
If you are unsure whether the content you are reporting is infringing your legal rights, you may wish to seek legal guidance. Keep in mind that submitting intentionally misleading reports of infringement may be punishable under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in the United States or similar laws in other countries.
If you believe your copyright is being infringed, the fastest and easiest way to report that to us is to use our online form. Alternatively, you can choose to use traditional (and slower) methods, such as mail, to contact our designated agent. In that case, you will need to ensure you include all elements of a complete copyright claim in your report.
Note: You do not need an Instagram account to submit a report.
When submitting a claim of copyright infringement, it may be required by law that you include the following:
- Your complete contact information (full name, mailing address, and phone number). Please note that we may provide your contact information and/or the contents of your report to the user who posted the content you are reporting.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- A description of the content on our site that you claim infringes your copyright.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on our site. The easiest way to do this is by providing web addresses (URLs) leading directly to the allegedly infringing content.
- A declaration that:
- You have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted content described above, in the manner you have complained of, is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law
- The information in your notice is accurate
- You declare, under penalty of perjury, that you are the owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive copyright that is allegedly infringed.
- Your electronic signature or physical signature
The easiest (and fastest) way to submit a complete claim is by using our online form.
You can get a link to a publicly shared photo or video by going to the post in the app and tapping "..." beneath it. From the menu that appears, select Copy Share URL.
If the option to get a link to a photo or video isn't available to you in the app, you can also get a link to the post by viewing it on the web:
- Every Instagram account has a username, which you can find when visiting that profile on the web or within the mobile app
- Once you know the username of the account in which the content is located, open a web browser and go to http://instagram.com/username
- For example, if the username is "johnappleseed" go to http://instagram.com/johnappleseed
- Click on the post(s) you wish to report
- For each post, copy the URL (located at the top of the browser) and paste it into your report
The fastest and easiest way to send our designated agent a DMCA claim of copyright infringement is by using our online form. If you wish to contact our designated agent through traditional (and slower) methods, you can contact them at:
Copyright Agent, c/o Instagram
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Phone: (650) 384-2250
Fax: (650) 384-2253
Please note that if you choose to submit a report to our designated agent by any means other than through our online form, you'll need to ensure you include all elements of a complete copyright claim.