Instagram Direct lets you send a photo or video to a select group of people. Posts won’t appear in feed, search or your profile.
To send photos/videos with Instagram Direct:
- Take a new photo/video or upload a photo/video from your camera roll.
- Add optional effects, filters and a caption.
- Tap Direct. You’ll see some features appear in green when you’re using Instagram Direct.
- Tap the names of people you want to send the photo/video to (up to 15 people).
- Tap Send.
The people you've sent the post to will get a notification. To see posts you've sent with Instagram Direct, tap in the top right of your Home feed.
Posts sent with Instagram Direct can't be shared through Instagram to other sites like Facebook or Twitter. You also can't tag people or use hashtags in these shared posts.
Yes, you can send a photo or video to anyone when you use Instagram Direct. If you send a post to someone who doesn’t follow you, your post will go to their requests queue. If someone accepts your request, your post will go to their direct posts the next time you share directly with them. Posts that stay in the requests queue may become unavailable.
When someone you follow sends a photo or video to you with Instagram Direct, it’ll go to your direct posts. Get to your direct posts by tapping in the top right of your Home feed.
If someone you don’t follow sends you a post, it’ll go to your requests queue. From there, you can choose to accept the request into your direct posts or to ignore it by tapping x. You can also tap Ignore All to ignore all requests at one time. When you accept requests, future posts sent to with you from that person will go to your direct posts.
Keep in mind that posts that stay in your requests queue may become unavailable after a while.
When you delete a sent post, it'll also be deleted from Instagram. The people you’ve sent it to won’t be able to see it.
Everyone that you've sent a photo or video to can see its likes or comments, even if they don't follow each other.
- Ignore people you don’t want to hear from. If you want to ignore all messages from someone you follow, you can always tap the ". . ." in your direct posts and select the option to Ignore All from that person."
- Block people that bother you. If someone bothers you through messages or anywhere else on Instagram, block them so they can't view your photos/videos or search for your Instagram account. People aren't notified when you block them.
- Report problematic content. You can report content that may not be folloiwng our policies directly from Instagram app with our built-in reporting feature.